Washington, D.C. & New York, NY (April 16, 2014)- The Society of Professional Journalists announced today that Andrew Cohen has been awarded the 2013 Sigma Delta Chi award for Online Column Writing (Affiliated) for his “American Gulag” series on TheAtlantic.com.
The multipart series explores the issues within the American penal system, including the treatment of inmates, lack of help for those with mental illness, and deteriorating prison conditions. Articles in the series recognized by this award include:
- Half a Life in Solitary: How Colorado Made a Young Man Insane
- The Shakespearean Death of Billy Slagle
- One of the Darkest Periods in the History of American Prisons
- Prison Officials Finally Agree to Transfer Floridly Psychotic Inmate
- 40 Years Later, the Cruelty of Papillon is a Reality in U.S. Prisons
The Sigma Delta Chi awards recognize the best in professional journalism. Cohen, along with the other Sigma Delta Chi award winners, will be honored at the National Press Club in Washington, D.C. on June 21st.
For more from Andrew Cohen, visit TheAtlantic.com.
We want to hear what you think about this article. Submit a letter to the editor or write to email@example.com.