There’s scant evidence that they’re effective. They can, however, be psychologically damaging—and they reflect a dismaying view of childhood.
He has grades and test scores that I think should qualify him for the Ivy League—but he’s also white and upper-middle-class.
Some scientists think the Kabwe skull could be an evolutionary link between humans and Neanderthals. It hasn’t left the U.K. in nearly a century.
David Thomson’s fascinating, and frustrating, tour of gay subversion and female oppression in American movies
The animated film from Mamoru Hosoda is also a timely reflection on how societal expectations for Japanese fathers are slowly evolving.
- Live Event
- Kaepernick Won. The NFL Lost.
- Dear Therapist: I’m Worried the College-Admissions Process Is Rigged Against My Son
- The Last Days of the President
- Scientists Are Totally Rethinking Animal Cognition
- The Snowflake in Chief
- The Furor in Virginia Has Quieted
- What Presidential Announcements Reveal About the Candidates
- How Brexit Threatens Peace in Northern Ireland
- The Bitter Origins of the Fight Over Big Government
- Amazon Got Exactly What It Deserved—And So Did New York