Washington, D.C. and New York, NY (June 2, 2016)—Those whose work is shaping the world’s response to HIV/AIDS—major city mayors, global health leaders, and advocates—will join together to address pervasive issues of equality and discrimination stemming from the disease for a Monday afternoon event in New York City. “The Problem Solvers: Cities on the Front Lines of HIV/AIDS,” an Atlantic Forum presented by M•A•C AIDS Fund and UNAIDS, will take place on Monday, June 6 at 3:30PM ET at The New York Public Library.
The event is open to press. To be credentialed, please contact The Atlantic’s Sydney Simon (firstname.lastname@example.org or 202.266.7338).
Through the lens of the role of cities in confronting HIV/AIDS, The Atlantic will ask: from Paris to Kingston to New York City, could the catalyst for universal change start in the city square? Sessions will focus on paths to improving systems for HIV/AIDS education, testing, and treatment; engaging marginalized populations around major health issues; and goal-setting and global leadership.
Speakers participating in the program include:
- Angela Brown Burke, Mayor of Kingston, Jamaica
- Demetre Daskalakis, Assistant Commissioner of the Bureau of HIV/AIDS Prevention and Control, NYC Department of Health and Mental Hygiene
- Mindy Fullilove, Professor of Clinical Sociomedical Sciences and Psychiatry, Columbia University Mailman School of Public Health
- Anne Hidalgo*, Mayor of Paris, France
- Micheal Ighodaro, Program and Policy Assistant, AIDS Vaccine Advocacy Coalition
- Vanessa Kerry, Co-Founder and CEO, Seed Global Health
- Annie Lennox*, Singer Songwriter, Activist, and UNAIDS Global Goodwill Ambassador
- Nancy Mahon*, Executive Director, M•A•C AIDS Fund
- Alexandre Mars, Founder and CEO, Epic Foundation
- James Nxumalo, Mayor of Durban, South Africa
- Cara Page, Executive Director, Audre Lorde Project
- Rebecca Rosen, Associate Director for Data Resources and Data Strategy at the Center for Urban Science and Progress, New York University
- Brad Sears, Founding and Executive Director, The Williams Institute, UCLA School of Law
- Michel Sidibé*, Executive Director, UNAIDS
- Matthew Slutsky, Managing Director of Partnerships, change.org