Among the featured speakers:
- Sonita Alizadeh, Activist and Rapper
- Rosalind Brewer, President and CEO of Sam’s Club, Walmart Stores
- Ursula Burns, Chairman and CEO, Xerox Corporation
- Bob Costas, Sportscaster, NBC Sports
- Renée Fleming, Soprano; Trustee, Carnegie Hall Corporation
- Theaster Gates, Artist; Professor and Director of Arts + Public Life, Visual Arts Department, University of Chicago
- Jonathan Greenblatt, CEO and National Director, Anti-Defamation League
- Jonathan Holloway, Dean, Yale College and Edmund S. Morgan Professor of African American Studies, History, and American Studies, Yale University
- Piper Kerman, Author, Orange is the New Black: My Year in a Women's Prison
- Navina Khanna, Director, HEAL Food Alliance
- Ezra Klein, Editor-in-Chief and Co-Founder, Vox.com
- David Litt, Head Writer/Producer, Funny or Die Washington D.C.; Former Senior Presidential Speechwriter, The White House
- Jane McGonigal, Director of Games Research and Development, Institute for the Future
- Michael Middleton, Interim President, University of Missouri
- Esther Perel, Author, Mating in Captivity
- Penny Pritzker, US Secretary of Commerce
- Brian Roberts, CEO, Comcast Corporation
- Dan Savage, Advice Columnist, Savage Love
- Alan Stern, Principal Investigator, New Horizons Mission
- Bryan Stevenson, Founder and Executive Director, Equal Justice Initiative
- Cass Sunstein, Founder and Director, Program on Behavioral Economics and Public Policy, Harvard Law School
- Sarah Sze, Artist
- Darren Walker, President and CEO, The Ford Foundation
The public convocation, which will feature one-on-one interviews, panel conversations, film screenings, and more, is a seven-day event that will explore a wide array of issues. The 2016 Aspen Ideas Festival will delve into global affairs, the 2016 election, the arts, the future of capitalism, criminal justice, the universe, human sexuality, technology and connectivity, and issues confronting universities. More about this year’s program can be found at http://www.aspenideas.org.
Over the course of the Ideas Festival, a robust and diverse audience is expected in Aspen, CO, but many more will be able to join the conversation online. The Atlantic will report on and produce video from the Ideas Festival in a special report at TheAtlantic.com. All video and audio clips of on-stage conversations will be on aspenideas.org and on TheAtlantic.com/live, and on the Aspen Institute’s YouTube channel.
Regular updates from the Festival, in the run-up and during the event, will be on Facebook.com/aspenideas and on Twitter at @AspenIdeas, @TheAtlantic and @Atlantic_LIVE, and with #AspenIdeas. Additionally, discussions can be followed all year on the Aspen Ideas Festival blog.
Presenting underwriters for 2016 Aspen Ideas Festival are Allstate, Booz Allen Hamilton, Comcast NBCUniversal, Mount Sinai Health System, Robert Wood Johnson Foundation, Southern Company, Toyota, U.S. Trust, Bank of America Private Wealth Management, and Walton Family Foundation. Supporting underwriters are American Federation of Teachers, Consumer Reports, EY, Monsanto, Pearson, and The Rockefeller Foundation. PBS is a contributing underwriter.