Step aside, "ASSMAN": The digital world has opened up a whole new way to offend and/or delight fellow drivers.
Article 3.1, section 170.00 of the Vehicle Code for the State of California has some very important things to say about applications for vanity license plates.
For example, when it comes to the requested plate:
(A) The configuration shall comply with the specifications of Section 5105 ofthe Vehicle Code.
(B) When a desired configuration is not available, a letter shall not be substituted for a number, nor shall a number be substituted for a letter, to create another configuration of a similar appearance.
(C) The number zero shall not be used in the configuration.
(D) The department shall refuse any configuration that may carry connotations offensive to good taste and decency, or which would be misleading, based on criteria which includes, but is not limited to, the following:
1. The configuration has a sexual connotation or is a term of lust or depravity.
2. The configuration is a vulgar term; a term of contempt, prejudice, or hostility; an insulting or degrading term; a racially degrading term; or an ethnically degrading term.
3. The configuration is a swear word or term considered profane, obscene, or repulsive.
4. The configuration has a negative connotation to a specific group.
5. The configuration misrepresents a law enforcement entity.
6. The configuration has been deleted from regular series license plates.
7. The configuration is a foreign or slang word or term, or is a phonetic spelling or mirror image of a word or term falling into the categories described in subdivisions I. through 6. above.
The State of California, however, knows that these regulations can be confusing. The State of California would also prefer that it not waste its time processing applications for verboten license plates. So the State of California has written out -- in hilariously painstaking/painstakingly hilarious detail -- various vanity plate configurations that are, per official State edict, vulgar and/or hostile and/or lustful.