Infographic: What Would You Give Up to Keep Your Smartphone?
You see them walking down the street, texting. Or maybe you've stopped next to them at a red light and they're checking emails. In a meeting at work, they frequently have it out on the table, buzzing and vibrating and generally irritating everyone else. These are the people who are always attached to their smartphones. You might even be one of them. Either way, we all know them. We've seen them.
What you might not know is just how much people are willing to give up to keep their smartphone use from being interrupted. This infographic, created using data from a national survey from TeleNav, provides some insight. It indicates "that Americans are willing to give up some of life's greatest pleasures in order to hang on to their mobile phones," according to the press release that TeleNav put out. Life's greatest pleasures: That includes sex, showering and alcohol.
Infographics are always a bit of a hodgepodge of statistics culled from a variety of sources. Here, we sort through the clutter and pull out some of our favorite facts and figures:
- Two-thirds (66 percent) of smartphone users said they sleep with their phone next to them.
- Almost one-third (31 percent) of smartphone users said they check their phone while at the movies.
- According to TeleNav's survey, 20 percent of smartphone users, if they had to make the choice, would give up their computer for a week instead of their phone. Twenty-one percent of respondents would give up their shoes for a week instead of their phone. One-third of survey respondents (33 percent) would give up sex for a week instead of their phone. More than two-thirds of respondents (70 percent) said that they would rather give up alcohol for a week than their smartphone.
- Half of survey respondents who are Android users believe that their phone reflects their sense of style; that was only true of 35 percent of Apple users.
- More Android users (55 percent) use their smartphones to update online social networks than Apple iOS users (50 percent).
- Twenty-eight percent of Apple users said that they would rather go a week without seeing their significant other than give up their phone. Twenty-three percent of Android users would make a similar decision.
Check out more Infographics on the Technology Channel.