We don't yet have reliable projections for this year, but more than five billion apps were downloaded over 2010. And that number is expected to grow to 21 billion by 2013, according to MocoNews, which picked up this infographic from app developers Shoutem Mobilizer to highlight the current state of the industry.
Infographics are always a bit of a hodgepodge of statistics culled from a variety of sources. Here, we sort through the clutter and pull out some of our favorite facts and figures:
- The average smartphone user spends 667 minutes every month using apps.
- Users of iPhone and Android phones use an average of 15 apps, whereas BlackBerry owners use only 8.
- Angry Birds is one of the highest-rated apps, with an average score of 4.78 out of 5. With a 4.5 rating, Google Maps follows closely behind Angry Birds.
- In the United States, the top mobile app categories are social networking (with 60 million users), maps (40 million), classifieds (17 million) and online retail (17 million).
- It is projected that money transfer and location-based services will be the most popular mobile app categories for 2012.
Check out more Infographics on the Technology Channel.
We want to hear what you think about this article. Submit a letter to the editor or write to email@example.com.