1. NO PURCHASE NECESSARY TO ENTER OR TO WIN. SUBJECT TO APPLICABLE FEDERAL, STATE, LOCAL AND MUNICIPAL LAWS AND REGULATIONS. VOID WHERE PROHIBITED.
2. Eligibility. Subject to the additional restrictions below, the Renewal Awards Contest (the “Contest”) is open only to nominators (i.e., persons submitting a nomination) who are legal U.S. residents of the 50 United States (excluding Puerto Rico) and the District of Columbia who are 21 years or older at the time of entry and Nonprofits (i.e., 501(c)(3) organizations who are the subject of a nomination). For the purposes of these Official Rules, a “Nonprofit” is any entity that is an officially recognized organization or a registered charity within their state. Employees and their immediate family members (spouse, parent, child, sibling and their respective spouses, regardless of where they reside or those living in the same households, whether or not related) of The Atlantic Monthly Group, Inc. dba The Atlantic and Allstate Insurance Company (collectively, “Sponsors”), and each of their respective parent companies, affiliates, subsidiaries, retailers, dealers, advertising and promotion agencies (collectively, “Contest Parties”) are not eligible to enter or win and, therefore, cannot be a nominator or nominee. In order to be eligible for this prize, the nonprofit must have their 501(c)(3) designation from the IRS or be recognized as a nonprofit in their respective state at the time of nomination. At least one representative of the nonprofit must be living as of the date the nomination is submitted and the date on which they may be required to sign an Affidavit of Eligibility and Liability/Publicity Release as set forth in Section 9 of these Official Rules. Allstate Insurance Company and The Atlantic are the Administrators of the contest.
3. Contest Period. The Contest will begin at 9:30 AM Eastern Time (“E.T.”) on July 20, 2017 and end at 9:00 PM E.T. on February 28, 2018 (the “Contest Period”). The Contest Period consists of an entry period for submitting nominations (see Section 4 below) and a public voting period (see Section 5 below). For purposes of these Official Rules, the terms “nomination” and “entry” are used interchangeably.
4. How to Enter. The entry period to submit nominations will begin at 9:30 AM ET on July 20, 2017 and end at 9:00 PM ET on November 17, 2017 (the “Entry Period”). Online Entry. To enter, during the Entry Period, complete an official nomination form and submit a 200 word or less essay as outlined in the official nomination form. The official nomination form is available online by visiting Renewal Awards official registration page at www.theatlantic.com/renewal-awards/. Complete the entry form with all required information including details about the Nonprofit and its community programs, then submit the entry by clicking on the “SUBMIT” button. A person can nominate his or her Nonprofit (i.e., a person can be both the nominator and nominee associated with a given entry). Although a nominator can nominate multiple Nonprofits (as long as a separate nomination is submitted for each Nonprofit), a nominator can only nominate a Nonprofit once during the Entry Period. Sponsors reserve the right to require substantiation of the claims and stated facts contained in any nomination, and to disqualify a nominee/nomination if such claims cannot be substantiated. Nominator must obtain the written consent of the nominee to his/her nomination prior to submission of nomination and Sponsors reserve the right to require evidence of such consent at any time. Sponsors will not be responsible for incomplete, lost, late, misdirected or illegible entries. All entries become property of Sponsors and none will be returned. Your computer must accept cookies, or any successor or similar technology, which may be used for the purpose of entry tracking. Ad blocking software on your computer needs to be disabled so that it doesn’t interfere with processing your entry. By entering, nominators and nominees agree to the terms of these Official Rules and to receive e-mails from Sponsor or those directed by Sponsor regarding Sponsor’s products and services as well as The Renewal Project digital newsletter.
You can opt-out of the receipt of such e-mails by following the directions on the Contest website or in any email received from one or more of the Sponsors. Nonprofits may be nominated for local innovations that improve their communities, including but not limited to public good works, partnerships involving non profit and volunteer organizations, local government, businesses, public-private partnerships and/or individuals.
5. Finalist Selection. Finalists will be chosen based on the results of an eligibility review and two (2) phases of judging.
Phase I, Eligibility Review. On a rolling basis from July 20 to December 1, 2017, a team selected by Sponsor will verify that the nominated Nonprofit has both 501(c)(3) status and an online presence, such as or including a Facebook account, Twitter account, YouTube channel, or website. Nonprofits that meet these criteria will move to Phase II.
Phase II. A team selected by Sponsor will review the nominated Nonprofit’s presence on Guidestar, GreatNonprofits.org, and Charity Navigator, as well as assess its public good works commencing on or about December 4, 2017 to January 5, 2018. The criteria for judging will be (i) the Nonprofit’s score on Charity Navigator (25%), (ii) its impact to date, based on publicly available information (25%), (iii) its potential program impact for the future, based on publicly available information (25%), and (iv) its presence and reviews on Guidestar and GreatNonprofits.org (25%). Based on this criteria, the 75 nominees who receive the highest scores will move on to Phase III. In the event of a tie, tied entries will be re-judged based solely on the “potential impact for the future” judging criteria. Decisions of judges and Sponsor shall be final and binding in all respects.
Phase III. A team selected by Sponsor will judge all eligible entries received during the Entry Period, commencing on or about January 8, 2018. The criteria for judging will be (i) ability to replicate the project or program in communities across America (25%), (ii) existing positive impact on community (25%), (iii) ability to build partnerships with other institutions (25%), and (iv) potential program impact for the future (25%). Based on this criteria, the twenty-five (25) nominees who receive the highest scores will be selected as Finalists. In the event of a tie, tied entries will be re-judged based solely on the “potential program impact for the future” judging criteria. Decisions of judges and Sponsor shall be final and binding in all respects. Selected Finalists will be notified via phone and/or email on or about January 15, 2018. In the event that a selected Finalist is determined to be ineligible, fails to respond to a notification (if any) that Sponsors send to such selected Finalist, withdraws from the Contest or does not comply with any term or condition of these Official Rules, Sponsors may select an alternate Finalist who is the remaining nominee with the next highest score. Limit one (1) Finalist spot per nominee.
6. Online Public Finalist Voting. The twenty-five (25) Finalists will be subject to a public voting process. The public voting will account for 20% of a submission’s overall contest score. The panel of judges will account for 80% of a submission’s overall contest score to ensure this is still a skill-based award. The public voting results will also be a factor in determining the winners of the other five (5) prizes as set forth in Section 6 of these Official Rules. Online public voting is scheduled to take place from 9:30 AM ET on February 7, 2018 until 9:00 PM ET on February 21, 2018 at http://www.theatlantic.com/renewal-awards/. Through this voting process, the public will be invited to vote for the nominee who the public believes most merits grant money to continue his/her work. By entering the Contest, you (as the nominator) authorize Sponsors to publish the nomination that you submitted (including, but not limited to, the nominee’s name and your description of the nominee’s activities) on the web page associated with the online public voting process (“Voting Page”). You further represent and warrant that you, as the nominator of a Finalist, have obtained that Finalist’s consent for your nomination to appear on the Voting Page. Limit one (1) vote per person. Sponsors reserve the right to disqualify all votes in excess of this limit and/or which Sponsors in their sole discretion believe do not comply with these Official Rules or other rules adopted by Sponsors. Subject to additional voting requirements and limits set forth on the Voting Page. The use of computer-generated programs or other means to submit multiple (or ineligible) votes in violation of these Official Rules is prohibited, and such votes will be disqualified as determined by Sponsors in their sole discretion. Any voter who violates these rules may have all of his/her votes disqualified.
7. Winner Selection. From the twenty-five Finalists selected, there will be a total of five (5) winners in the Contest (each a “Winner”), and a total of five (5) runners-up (each a “Runner-up”) determined on or about March 5, 2018 as described below. Decisions of judges and Sponsors shall be final and binding in all respects.
(A) First, a total of four (4) Winners and four (4) Runners-up will be selected by a panel of judges (who are selected by Atlantic Media) from among the eligible Finalists based on the following criteria: (i) ability to replicate the project or program in communities across America (20%), (ii) scale of existing positive impact on community (20%), (iii) potential program impact for the future (20%), (iv) the national importance of the need that the program addresses, and (v) online voting results (20%). The four (4) Finalists who receive the highest scores during this round of judging will be selected as Winners. The four (4) finalists who receive the second highest scores will be selected as Runners-up. In the event of a tie, tied entries will be re-judged based entirely on the “scale of existing positive impact on community” judging criteria.
(B) Second, one (1) Allstate Youth Empowerment Award Winner and one (1) Runner-up will be selected solely by a separate panel of judges (who are selected by Allstate) from among the remaining eligible Finalists (i.e., after the online voting Winner and Atlantic Media winners are determined) based on the following criteria: (i) ability to replicate the project or program in communities across America (20%), (ii) scale of existing positive impact on community (20%), (iii) potential program impact for the future (20%), (iv) programs specifically improving the lives of youth in America (20%), and (v) online voting results (20%).
8. Prizes. There will be a total of five (5) Winners and five (5) Runners-up which includes the four (4) Winners and four (4) Runners-up selected by the panel of Atlantic Media selected judges in accordance with Section 7(B), and one (1) Winner and one (1) Runner-up selected by the panel of Allstate judges in accordance with Section 7(B).
Each Winner will receive:
(i) a Twenty Thousand Dollar ($20,000) grant from Allstate Insurance Company to support efforts related to the community program that the nominee was recognized for subject to Allstate Insurance Company’s general grant terms and conditions.
(ii) a 2-day/ 1-night trip for a representative from each Winner to The 2017 National Summit in New Orleans, Louisiana to receive his or her prize. Each trip includes: (a) round trip air transportation from a major commercial airport with regularly scheduled flights near Winner’s permanent residence at the time of entry or other location determined by Sponsors (all as determined in Sponsors’ sole discretion) (approximate retail value (“ARV”): $450), (b) one night hotel accommodations (ARV: $200), (c) ground transportation to/from hotel (ARV: $50), and (d) $100 in spending money for meals (total ARV of each trip: $800). Winner responsible for all federal, state and local taxes in connection with this prize.
(iii) a written profile featuring Winner on TheAtlantic.com (or other written feature). (There is no cash value to this element of the prize.)
Each Runner-up will receive:
(i) a Ten Thousand Dollar ($10,000) grant from Allstate Insurance Company to support efforts related to the community program that the nominee was recognized for subject to Allstate Insurance Company’s general grant terms and conditions.
(ii) a written profile featuring Runner-up on TheAtlantic.com (or other written feature). (There is no cash value to this element of the prize.)
(Total ARV of all prizes: $154,000). Odds of winning depend on the quality of the eligible nomination.
All prizes subject to availability. As determined by Sponsors, certain prizes might not be available (or are subject to change) due to scheduling issues, changed circumstances and other factors that may (or may not) be beyond the control of Sponsors. Details and specifics of each prize are subject to approval by Sponsors and/or will be determined by Sponsors in their own discretion, as applicable. All travel arrangements must be made and coordinated through Sponsors or their designees. Incidentals, gratuities and other expenses are not included unless otherwise indicated herein and/or approved by Sponsors. Each Winner is responsible for providing identification and other required travel documents. Each Winner must present a valid major credit card at the time of hotel check-in to cover any expenses not part of prize. Limit one (1) prize per person.
9. Winner Notification and Acceptance. Selected Winners will be notified on or about March 5, 2018. Sponsors will call each selected Winner at the telephone number provided on the entry form during regular business hours and/or send each selected Winner an email to the provided email address. Failure to reach any Winner by phone or email after three (3) attempts may result in disqualification of the associated winner, forfeiture of his or her interest in all prizes, and selection of a substitute winner from among all remaining eligible entries. After notification, Winners will be announced on TheAtlantic.com in March 2017. Winners will be invited, but are not obligated, to appear at the 2017 National Summit in spring 2018 in New Orleans, Louisiana. Winners may waive their right to receive prizes (or a portion of the prize). Prizes are nonassignable and nontransferable. No substitutions allowed by winner. Prizes and individual components of prize packages are subject to availability and Sponsors reserve the right to substitute prizes of equal or greater retail value for any reason. Each Winner is solely responsible for reporting and payment of any taxes on prizes. Each Winner may be required to complete an affidavit of eligibility/liability and publicity release (except where prohibited by law) which must be returned as directed by Sponsors. Failure to sign and return the affidavit or release, or to comply with any term or condition of these Official Rules, may result in a winner’s disqualification, the forfeiture of his or her interest in the prize, and the award of the prize to a substitute winner. Except where prohibited, acceptance of any prize constitutes winner’s consent to the publication of his or her name, biographical information and likeness in any media for any commercial or promotional purpose, without limitation the Internet, or further compensation. Prizes not won and claimed by eligible winners in accordance with these Official Rules will not be awarded and will remain the property of Sponsors.
10. Participation. By participating, each nominator and nominee agrees to be bound by these Official Rules and the decisions of Sponsors. Sponsors reserve the right to disqualify persons found tampering with or otherwise abusing any aspect of this Contest as solely determined by Sponsors. In the event the Contest is compromised by a virus, non-authorized human intervention, tampering or other causes beyond the reasonable control of Sponsors which corrupts or impairs the administration, security, fairness or proper operation of the Contest, Sponsors reserve the right in their sole discretion to suspend, modify or terminate the Contest. Should the Contest be terminated prior to the stated expiration date, Sponsors reserve the right to award prizes based on the entries received before and/or after the termination date, or in such manner as deemed fair and appropriate by Sponsors. Sponsors will not be responsible for incomplete, lost, late, misdirected or illegible entries, or for failure to receive entries or votes or other electronic communications due to transmission failures or technical failures of any kind, including, without limitation, malfunctioning of any network, hardware or software, whether originating with sender or Sponsors. The authorized account holder of the e-mail address submitted at time of entry will be considered the entrant. An “authorized account holder” shall mean the natural person assigned to such email account by the Internet access provider, online service provider, or other organization responsible for assigning e-mail addresses for the domain associated with such e-mail account. A potential winner may be requested to provide proof that In the event of a dispute, all online entries will be deemed to have been submitted by the owner of the ISP account from which they were sent. For these purposes, an ISP account holder shall mean the natural person assigned to such ISP account by the Internet access provider, online service provider or other organization responsible for assigning ISP addresses for the domain associated with such ISP account. Any questions regarding the number of entries, or votes submitted or the owner of an ISP account shall be determined by Sponsors in their sole discretion, and Sponsor reserves the right to disqualify any entries or votes by persons determined to be tampering with or abusing any aspect of the Contest.
11. Release. By entering the Contest (and, if applicable, by receipt of prize), each entrant agrees to release and hold harmless Sponsors and each of their respective parent companies, subsidiaries, affiliates, suppliers, distributors, advertising/promotion agencies, and prize suppliers, and each of their respective officers, directors, members, employees and agents (collectively, the “Released Parties”) from and against any claim or cause of action, including, but not limited to, personal injury, death, or damage to or loss of property, arising out of participation in the Contest or, for each Winner, receipt or use or misuse of any prize.
12. Limitations of Liability. The Released Parties are not responsible for: (1) any incorrect or inaccurate information, whether caused by entrants, printing errors or by any of the equipment or programming associated with or utilized in the Contest; (2) technical failures of any kind, including, but not limited to malfunctions, interruptions, or disconnections in phone lines or network hardware or software; (3) unauthorized human intervention in any part of the entry process or the Contest; (4) technical or human error which may occur in the administration of the Contest or the processing of entries; (5) late, lost, undeliverable, damaged or stolen mail; or (6) any injury or damage to persons or property which may be caused, directly or indirectly, in whole or in part, from entrant’s participation in the Contest or receipt or use or misuse of any prize. If for any reason an entrant's entry is confirmed to have been erroneously deleted, lost, or otherwise destroyed or corrupted, entrant’s sole remedy is another entry in the Contest unless it is not possible to award another entry due to discontinuance or completion of the Contest. No more than the stated number of prizes will be awarded.
13. Disputes: Except where prohibited, entrant agrees that: (1) any and all disputes, claims and causes of action arising out of or connected with this Promotion or any prize awarded shall be resolved individually, without resort to any form of class action, and exclusively by the United States District Court for Illinois or the appropriate Illinois State Court located in Cook County, Illinois U.S.A.; (2) any and all claims, judgments and awards shall be limited to actual out-of-pocket costs incurred, including costs associated with entering this Promotion, but in no event attorneys’ fees; and (3) under no circumstances will entrant be permitted to obtain awards for, and entrant hereby waives all rights to claim, indirect, punitive, incidental and consequential damages and any other damages, other than for actual out-of-pocket expenses, and any and all rights to have damages multiplied or otherwise increased. All issues and questions concerning the construction, validity, interpretation and enforceability of these Official Rules, or the rights and obligations of the winner and Sponsor in connection with the Promotion shall be governed by, and construed in accordance with, the laws of the State of Illinois , without giving effect to any choice of law or conflict of law rules (whether of the State of Illinois or any other jurisdiction), which would cause the application of the laws of any jurisdiction other than the State of Illinois.
14. Construction. The invalidity or unenforceability of any provision of these rules shall not affect the validity or enforceability of any other provision. In the event that any such provision is determined to be invalid or otherwise unenforceable, these rules shall be construed in accordance with their terms as if the invalid or unenforceable provision was not contained therein.
15. Sponsors, Winners List and Official Rules. The Renewal Awards Contest is sponsored by the Atlantic Monthly Group, Inc. dba The Atlantic, 600 New Hampshire Avenue, N.W., Washington, DC 20037 and Allstate Insurance Company, 2775 Sanders Road, Suite F4, Northbrook, IL 60062 (“Sponsors”). The decisions of Sponsors regarding the selection of winners and all other aspects of the Contest shall be final and binding in all respects. Sponsors will not be responsible for typographical, printing or other inadvertent errors in these Official Rules or in other materials relating to the Contest. For a list of winners (available after May 1, 2017) or a copy of these Official Rules, visit www.theatlantic.com/renewal-awards/ or send a self-addressed, stamped envelope (Vermont residents need not affix return postage) to “Winners List/Official Rules” (as applicable), Renewal Awards, 600 New Hampshire Ave., NW, Washington, DC 20037. If you have any questions regarding this Contest, please contact KC Sledd at firstname.lastname@example.org or call 202-266-7000.