NEWS BRIEF With the Democratic convention only a few weeks away, the Hillary Clinton camp can release a sigh of relief after FBI Director James Comey announced that the agency found that “no charges are appropriate” in the probe into the former secretary of state’s emails.
“Our judgement is that no reasonable prosecutor would bring such a case,” Comey said. “In looking back at our investigations into mishandling or removal of classified information, we cannot find a case that would support bringing criminal charges on these facts.”
On Tuesday, Comey announced that “The FBI is completing its investigation and referring to DOJ for a prosecutive decision.” He added that it was going to be “an unusual statement.” And it was certainly a long-anticipated one. The FBI probe into Hillary Clinton’s use of a private email server during her tenure as secretary of state has long haunted her presidential campaign.
Comey likened the former secretary of state’s emails on Tuesday to “a huge unfinished jigsaw puzzle and dumping all the pieces on the floor.” Of the 30,000 emails turned over by the State Department in 2014, 110 emails in 52 email chains were determined to contain classified information at the time they were sent or received, Comey said. But there wasn’t reason to believe that there was intentional misconduct. Comey added, however, that Clinton and her aides were “extremely careless.” Comey continued, saying the “security culture of the State Department in general—and with respect to the use of unclassified systems in particular—was generally lacking in the kind of care for classified information that's found elsewhere in the U.S. goverment.” And although the FBI found no proof her server had been hacked, Comey said that “it is possible that hostile actors gained access to Secretary Clinton's personal e-mail account.”