Hell hath no fury like a Late Show host scorned.
Stephen Colbert took presidential candidate Jeb Bush to task Wednesday afternoon for raffling off a VIP ticket to Colbert’s premiere Late Show on Sept. 8 as part of a campaign fundraiser. Bush and known Hillary Clinton supporter George Clooney are slated to be the host’s first guests.
The about-to-hit-primetime TV host, formerly of The Colbert Report, displayed his typical snark in poking at Bush for offering up the ticket to supporters for at least a $3 contribution. The campaign launched the fundraising attempt late last week.
“No one from Jeb’s campaign asked me if this was OK with me to raise off my first show,” Colbert said in the video. “Where’s my cut of that sweet 3 bucks, governor?”
The video seems straight out of The Colbert Report playbook, even though Colbert adopted an ultrasassy persona for that program that won’t be around for Late Show. But the Bush campaign, in an email to National Journal, suggested the video was all in good fun. Spokeswoman Kristy Campbell said the campaign got permission from the show to raffle off the ticket.
“We think Stephen’s piece is hilarious,” Campbell said. “It’s a comedy show, folks!”
CBS News could not be immediately reached for comment. A Wednesday-evening story posted to CBS’s website seemed to support Colbert’s claim that the Bush camp didn’t ask for permission, but Campbell said the campaign has asked CBS to update its story.