House Republicans on Wednesday released the subpoena they issued in early March for emails from Hillary Clinton's private server, a day after Clinton said she had not been subpoenaed for the documents.
Clinton said on CNN Tuesday that "I've never had a subpoena." A transcript of her remarks is available here.
That drew a rebuke from Trey Gowdy, the GOP chairman of the House Select Committee on Benghazi, who said the need to "correct the inaccuracy" led him to break with his practice of not releasing subpoenas the panel has issued.
"The committee immediately subpoenaed Clinton personally after learning the full extent of her unusual email arrangement with herself, and would have done so earlier if the State Department or Clinton had been forthcoming that State did not maintain custody of her records and only Secretary Clinton herself had her records when Congress first requested them," Gowdy said in a statement.
The subpoena sought Clinton's messages from 2011 and 2012 related to Libya and the 2012 attack on a diplomatic compound and CIA facility in Benghazi that killed four Americans.
The State Department turned over those documents in February and made them public in May, but later could not locate all or parts of 15 of Clinton's emails with Sidney Blumenthal that he provided to the House panel, prompting new GOP criticisms about the completeness of Clinton's transfer of documents to the committee.
Clinton made the comment about the subpoena in the course of a broader defense of her email arrangement, and she did not face a subpoena at the time she turned over emails to the State Department or when she deleted them from her server.
"She was asked about her decision to not to retain her personal emails after providing all those that were work-related, and the suggestion was made that a subpoena was pending at the time," Clinton campaign spokesman Nick Merrill said Wednesday. "That was not accurate. In fact, Trey Gowdy did not issue a subpoena until March, months after she she'd done that review. Further, the subpoena was specifically asking for documents pertaining to Libya and the attacks on our facility in Benghazi, documents which, along with tens of thousands of others, she had already given to the Department of State."
Rep. Elijah Cummings, the top Democrat on the Benghazi panel, dismissed Wednesday's release as "nothing but a stunt in this latest taxpayer-funded attack against Secretary Clinton."
This article has been updated.
This article is from the archive of our partner National Journal.
We want to hear what you think about this article. Submit a letter to the editor or write to email@example.com.