House Republicans have decided that two probes are too many—for now—when it comes to investigating Hillary Clinton's use of a personal email account to conduct State Department business.
The House Oversight and Government Reform Committee has confirmed that it has halted plans to investigate the issue, deferring to the Select Committee on Benghazi.
"House Oversight continues to provide support to Congressman [Trey] Gowdy and the Select Committee on Benghazi in their ongoing investigation into Secretary Clinton," said Melissa Subbotin, Chaffetz's committee spokeswoman. She said Oversight is not doing a separate investigation into the emails "at this time."
Democrats pounced earlier this month on the idea that multiple committees might probe the emails. "I think it's overkill. I think it's unprecedented," House Oversight and Government Reform ranking member Elijah Cummings told Bloomberg News on March 16.
Subbotin did not say why the panel has decided to back off. But the decision marks a reversal from Oversight Chairman Jason Chaffetz's plans in mid-March, when according to multiple press reports he vowed to send a detailed inquiry, seek access to Clinton's emails, and would not rule out a subpoena.