Dick Cheney recently gave an interview to Playboy. The interviewer asked, "Do you feel Obama, either intentionally or inadvertently, has undone your and President Bush’s work?" And the former vice president does feel that way. He gave several examples.
The most noteworthy:
"I don’t think he ever bought into the notion that we’re at war, in terms of a war on terrorism," Cheney said. "I think he always wanted to treat it as a law-enforcement problem."
That is nonsense.
And it is noteworthy nonsense because it underscores the unreality at the core of the foreign-policy critique coming from the Dick Cheney wing of the Republican Party.
Here are some uncontested facts:
- President Obama began his tenure by surging tens of thousands of troops into Afghanistan, where nearly 10,000 American troops remain even today.
- Using weaponized drones, the Obama Administration has ordered lethal strikes that have killed an estimated 2,500 people spread across several countries.
- The Obama Administration put American citizen Anwar al-Awlaki on a secret kill list and blew him up with a hellfire missile. They killed his teenage son in a separate strike.
- Obama ordered a team of Navy Seals on a covert operation inside Pakistan, where they stormed Osama Bin Laden's compound, killed his guards, shot him dead, and dumped his body in the ocean.
- According to the Pentagon, the U.S. Air Force has hit 3,220 ISIS targets with air strikes, all since October 2014.