Forensic Pathologist: There Was 'No Evidence of a Struggle' When Michael Brown Was Shot

Dr. Michael Baden held a press conference with Michael Brown's family in Ferguson on Monday morning.

As Benjamin Crump, the attorney for Michael Brown's family, held up six fingers, camera shutters clicked in rapid succession.

Crump was illustrating the minimum number of times Brown, a black 18-year-old resident of Ferguson, Mo., was shot by a white police officer on Aug. 9.

On Monday morning, Brown's family held a press conference to release the results of their preliminary autopsy. According to the independent autopsy called for by Brown's family, Brown was shot at least six times—and at least once in the head.

The independent autopsy was conducted by Dr. Michael Baden, who served as New York City's chief medical examiner for more than 25 years.

Here is what we have learned about Brown's death, according to Baden: Brown was shot six times. There was "no evidence of a struggle" between Brown and Wilson when Brown was shot. The last two shots appeared to be to Brown's head. Brown could have survived all of the gunshot wounds, except for the shot to the top of his head.

This account contradicts the narrative originally put forth by police. Last week, St. Louis County Police Chief Jon Belmar said that Brown had "physically assaulted" Wilson and had struggled over Wilson's weapon.

From CNN:

"The genesis of this was a physical confrontation," Belmar said, adding that Ferguson police asked his office to investigate the case.

Without revealing what led to the dispute, Belmar said the preliminary investigation showed that the Ferguson officer tried to exit his vehicle, but Brown pushed him back into the car, "where he physically assaulted the police officer" and struggled over the officer's weapon, Belmar said.

A shot was fired inside the police car, and Brown was eventually shot about 35 feet away from the vehicle, Belmar said.

A person familiar with the county's investigation into Brown's death told The Washington Post on Monday that Brown was shot six to eight times, and had marijuana in his system at the time of his death. It's worth noting that marijuana can remain detectable long after its effects have worn off.

Baden said Darren Wilson, the officer who shot Brown, would need to be examined as well to get a more complete picture of what happened.

Baden added that the distance between Wilson and Brown at the time of the shooting is still unclear, saying Wilson could have been one to two feet away, or 30 feet away. The family is requesting access to Brown's clothing to look for residue.

Crump began the press conference with the questions asked by Michael Brown's mother. "As any mother would have, was my child in pain, and Dr. Baden shared with her in his opinion he did not suffer," Crump said. "And then lastly, his mother wanted to ask the question that Dr. Baden nor any of the lawyers could answer: What else do we need to give them to arrest the killer of my child?"

Baden said he believed a third autopsy would be conducted by the federal government Monday or Tuesday.

The Brown family "did not want to be left having to rely on the autopsy done by the St. Louis law-enforcement agencies, the same individuals they feel are responsible for executing their son in broad daylight," Crump said. "That is why they begged and pleaded to have an independent autopsy done."

Earlier in the day, Missouri Gov. Jay Nixon called in the National Guard to control the crowd in Ferguson. Nixon did not notify the White House beforehand.

This post has been updated with new information.