Joining the ranks of squares who oppose smoking pot was Joe Scarborough on the Friday edition of Morning Joe. Marijuana, he said, "just makes you dumb" — but, then, basically everything is dumb according to Scarborough.
Talking Points Memo transcribed a bit of Scarborough's comments. Joe has never actually smoked weed; he's just seen dummies around him being dumb after stupid smoking it.
"Never once did I say, 'Hey man, that looks like something I want to do,'" Scarborough said. "Never smoked it, 'cause everybody that ever did just looked dumb as hell."
Jim Cramer, who no one has ever accused of enjoying a nice mellow buzz, nodded vigorously and agreed. Mark Halperin asked if drinking made you dumb, too, and Scarborough said it did, but that it was only temporary, or something.
Anyway, the point is that calling things "dumb" or "stupid" is a bit of a Joe Scarborough hobby. If pot smoking makes you dumb, here are all of the things that maybe smoked too much reefer for Joe's taste over the last 18 months or so.
Things Joe Scarborough has called stupid on Morning Joe
- November 12, 2013: The shutdown. ("The shutdown was so bad and so stupid...")
- October 16, 2013: The Republican Party. ("Let just stop being the stupid party.")
- September 23, 2013: Republican tactics. ("We don't have to engage in really stupid tactics.")
- August 8, 2013: The idea of a government shutdown. ("Are you really that stupid? Are you really that dumb?")
- April 18, 2013: The NRA's argument against expanded background checks. ("It's so stupid.")
- April 18, 2013: The argument that background checks would lead to a national gun registry. ("It's offensive. It's stupid.")
- February 4, 2013: The NRA's arguments in general. ("They're stupid arguments!")
- August 21, 2012: The Republican Party. ("I'm just tired of it, of being the stupid party. ... I'm tired of us being stupid and having stupid people saying stupid things.")
- February 22, 2012: Rick Santorum's focus on social issues. ("Get off these stupid side issues.")
- January 28, 2012: Newt Gingrich. (Gingrich is "forward thinking and short-sighted, gifted and dumb - sometimes all within the same hour.")
- December 8, 2011: People who thought he was defending Rod Blagojevich. ("For the idiots involved at home who think we are defending what Rod Blagojevich did, you are an idiot and you are too stupid to watch TV.")
- November 14, 2011: The Romney campaign. ("Mitt is willing to dumb it down ... and say things that have no connection to geopolitical realities.")
- July 15, 2011: Joe Scarborough. ("I'm just a dumb country lawyer.")
According to Joe Scarborough, you can be dumb whether or not you have smoked pot. So, you might as well smoke some pot. Quod erat demonstrandum.
This article is from the archive of our partner The Wire.
We want to hear what you think about this article. Submit a letter to the editor or write to email@example.com.