This is the most expensive U.S. election in history with a total price tag of around $6 billion spent. That wouldn't be possible if not for the billionaires and the super PACS who gave and gave and gave some more. So which rich donors got the most bang out of their buck? (Hint: it's not Sheldon Adelson.)
Figures of Romney/Obama donors are from this AP report unless otherwise noted.
Sheldon Adelson, Owner of Las Vegas Sands
Net Worth: $25 Billion
The Bill: He spent somehwere between $70 million and $100 million, which is no more than 0.4 percent of his net worth.
- $34.2 Million to Romney/super PACs supporting Romney
- $10 million to Restore our Future
- $24 million to committees backing one-time Republican hopeful Newt Gingrich
- $10 million promised to Karl Rove's American Crossroads
- $5 million to Boehner super PACs
- $5 million to Cantor super PACs
Why He Said He Spent It:
- He's Likes to Win: "I suppose you could say that I live on Vince Lombardi’s belief: ‘Winning isn’t everything, it’s the only thing.’ So, I do whatever it takes, as long as it’s moral, ethical, principled, legal." Adelson was quoted as saying in a profile by Politico
- He Really Liked Newt Gingrich and Wanted to Use the Word "Islamofacism": "I’m in favor of Newt Gingrich, because I like people who make decisions. He’s a decision-maker. You don’t have to worry about using the word ‘Islamofascism’ or ‘Islamoterrorist’ when that’s what they are," Adelson said at a Las Vegas event back in March.
- He Thinks Obama Dissed Las Vegas: Obama, had said something to the effect that Wall Streeters shouldn't be taking free trips to Vegas on taxpayer's dime around three weeks after his inauguration. This did not go over well with Adelson. "From that point on, Vegas started to go down ...And he’s got the nerve, the chutzpah, to come here and raise money here. He should follow his own advice and not come to Vegas. He hurt me. He hurt 200,000 people working in the hospitality industry in this town." Adelson said in the Politico profile.