U.S. Ambassador to the United Nations Susan Rice said the U.S. was not "impotent" when it comes to responding to violent protests in Egypt, Libya and elsewhere.
"We're not impotent," she said on ABC's This Week. "What happened this week in Cairo, in Benghazi and many other parts of the region was a result, a direct result, of a heinous and offensive video that was widely disseminated, that the U.S. government had nothing to do with, which we have made clear is reprehensible and disgusting."
Earlier this week, an attack on the U.S. consulate in Benghazi left U.S. Ambassador to Libya Chris Stevens and three other American diplomats dead. The Romney campaign has criticized the Obama administration for not providing the proper protection to Americans abroad.
Rice said on Sunday the U.S. did not expect the protests to turn deadly in Libya.
"We had no actionable intelligence to suggest that any attack on our facility in Benghazi was imminent," Rice said on NBC's Meet the Press. "In Cairo, we did have indications that there was the risk that the video might spark some protests."
We want to hear what you think about this article. Submit a letter to the editor or write to email@example.com.