Texas Gov. Rick Perry continued his laughs, not gaffes, come-back strategy last night on the "Late Show with David Letterman" on CBS. There was something so embarrassing and obsequiously apologetic in his manner as he read off the "Top Ten Rick Perry Excuses" you're almost tempted to say, okay, okay, can we just stop talking about it already. Which is, clearly, his goal. The list, via the LA Times:
10. Actually, there were three reasons I messed up last night: 1) was the nerves and 2) was the headache and 3) um...uh...oops.
9. I don't know what you're talking about - I think things went well.
8. I was up late last night watching "Dancing with the Stars."
7. I thought the debate was tonight.
6. You try concentrating with Mitt Romney smiling at you. That is one handsome dude!
5. Uh, El Nino?
4. I had a five-hour energy drink six hours before the debate.
3. I really hoped it would get me on my favorite talk show, but instead, I ended up here.
2. I wanted to help take the heat off my buddy Herman Cain.
1. I just learned Justin Bieber is my father.