Anthony Weiner's wife Huma Abedin is pregnant, The New York Times' Michael Barbaro and Ashley Parker report. Abedin, a longtime aide to Secretary of State Hillary Clinton, is in the early months of her pregnancy, three people have told the Times. Gawker also reports Abedin is pregnant. The couple married last year.
Reactions to the news on Twitter show everyone's level of disgust about the Weinergate story just shot up three notches.
- Bloomberg's Lizzie O'Leary tweets, "I'm off the Internet for 45 minutes and it had to go and get even MORE depressing?"
- Talking Points Memo's Benjy Sarlin notices a trend, "So far I have seen three identical reactions to Huma Abedin's preganncy on my feed 'Oy.'"
- The Washington Post's Chris Cillizza tweets, "Holy cow."
- NBC's Chuck Todd is shocked, tweeting, "again, this is the worst movie plot ever; this twists would never happen in a real political scandal, right?"
- The Huffington Post's Elise Foley says, "It bums me out a lot that somebody's pregnant and everybody is all AH HORRIBLE, so I also want to say congrats! #babiesarecute"
Politico's Maggie Haberman notes, "It is hard to see how the calls for Weiner to resign don't grow rather emphatically louder now."
The news comes as the Las Vegas Sun's Karoun Demirjian has found a fifth woman with whom Weiner has been in contact online. This woman, however, did not seek the tabloid spotlight. Traci Nobles, of Athens, Georgia, left her Facebook page open by accident, and her roommate emailed the newspaper a screenshot of a conversation Nobles had with Weiner. The image shows Weiner and Nobles calling each other pet names like "sexy" and "sugar." Nobles told the Sun, "I really regret that this was sent to you."
This article is from the archive of our partner The Wire.
We want to hear what you think about this article. Submit a letter to the editor or write to email@example.com.