Minnesota Congresswoman Michele Bachmann formally announced she was running for president Monday in Waterloo, Iowa. And while Bachmann has outpaced expectations in recent weeks, those following the announcement on Twitter were perplexed and intrigued by her music choices for the rally. Richard Roeper of the Chicago Sun-Times tweeted the selections were "the songs played in every other movie," adding "'Walkin' on Sunshine' has appeared in at least 11 movies. James Brown's 'I Feel Good' in at least 15." Raw Story executive editor Megan Carpentier was especially perplexed by the inclusion of Tom Petty's "American Girl," with its lyrics about taking things easy and making them last all night. "Does no one listen to lyrics anymore?" she wondered.
The Atlantic Wire does! We've even gone through Bachmann's playlist and pulled out the most out-of-context lyrics for each song.
"Start Me Up" by The Rolling Stones
- Sample lyric: "If you start me up I'll never stop/I've been running hot/You got me ticking gonna blow my top."
"American Girl" by Tom Petty & the Heartbreakers
- Sample lyric: "Take it easy, baby/Make it last all night."
"I Got You (I Feel Good)" by James Brown
- Sample lyric: "When I hold you in my arms/I know that I can't do no wrong."
"Walkin' on Sunshine" by Katrina and the Waves
- Sample lyric: "Every time I go for the mailbox, I gotta hold myself down."
"Let's Get Loud," by Jennifer Lopez
- Sample lyric: "Dance don't ever stop, whatever rhythm/Every minute, every day."
"All Star" by Smash Mouth
- Sample lyric: "Didn't make sense not to live for fun/Your brain gets smart but your head gets dumb."
"Beautiful Day" by U2
- Sample lyric: "Touch me/Take me to that other place/Teach me/I know I'm not a hopeless case."
This article is from the archive of our partner The Wire.
We want to hear what you think about this article. Submit a letter to the editor or write to email@example.com.