Eminent election guru Charlie Cook of The Cook Political Report has upped his prediction of GOP House gains to 50-60, so find below an updated Election Day list of The Prognosticators--the top election-predictions scientists/oracles in the nation, and their forecasts for what will happen in today's 2010 midterms.
All predict a GOP takeover of the House, with Democrats retaining control of the Senate by two to four seats.
House: Current makeup is +38 D (255 D, 178 R, 2 vacant). GOP must net +39 to take over.
- FiveThirtyEight: 55 House seats gained by GOP
- The Cook Political Report: 50-60 seats gained by GOP
- The Rothenberg Political Report: 55-65 likely gained by GOP, possible gains of 70 or more
- Larry Sabato's Crystal Ball: 55 House seats gained by GOP (final prediction)
Senate: Current makeup is +9 D (57 D, 2 I-D, 41R). GOP must net +10 to take over.
- FiveThirtyEight: 7 seats gained by GOP
- Cook: 6-8 seats gained by GOP
- Rothenberg: 6-8 seats gained by GOP
- Sabato: 8 seats gained by GOP (final prediction)