We're in the Final Countdown zone for Election Day predictions, and prognosticators are soothsaying that Republicans will gain at least 52 House seats and retake the majority.
In the Senate, Republicans are expected to fall short, gaining no more than eight. Predictions below.
House: Current makeup is +38 D (255 D, 178 R, 2 vacant). GOP must net +39 to take over.
- FiveThirtyEight: 52 House seats gained by GOP
- Charlie Cook, The Cook Political Report: 52 seats gained by GOP
- Larry Sabato's Crystal Ball/UVA: 55 House seats gained by GOP (final prediction)
- The Rothenberg Political Report: 55-65 likely gained by GOP, possible gains of 70 or more
Senate: Current makeup is +9 D (57 D, 2 I-D, 41R). GOP must net +10 to take over.
- FiveThirtyEIght: 7 seats gained by GOP
- Cook: 8 seats gained by GOP
- Rothenberg: 6-8 seats gained by GOP
- Sabato: 8 seats gained by GOP (final prediction)