Yahoo's Ask America blog recently went to the University of Colorado to ask the country's youth--who are of course our greatest natural resource--some questions about our democracy. As one would expect, the results were comically horrifying. Among the things the respondents believe to be true, right now:
- Name of the current Senate Majority Leader: Hillary Clinton, Harry Truman
- Number of United States Representatives: 290, 432, 150, 125, "it depends on the population of each state," 500, 365, "430-something"
- Number of United States Senators: 25, 200, 52 (said twice), 102, 56, 97, 50 (also twice)
- Number of Supreme Court Justices: 12, 25, 13, "9 or 13," 5, "it's odd," 11, 50
- Name of the Current Chief Justice of the Supreme Court: John Smith, John Hickenlooper, "a Latin American lady"
This article is from the archive of our partner The Wire.
We want to hear what you think about this article. Submit a letter to the editor or write to firstname.lastname@example.org.