The health care industry is a gigantic entity when it comes to campaign and lobbying money, one that touches many members of Congress (and particularly those with relevant committee jurisdiction), and the attendees of tomorrow's health care summit at Blair House are no exception.
The watchdog group Citizens for Responsibility and Ethics in Washington released a list of attendees' contributions from the health care industry since 2005, and, in total, CREW finds that attendees (and their leadership PACs) have gotten $28 million in campaign contributions from health care professionals, industry groups, and related PACs. That may or may not seem like a lot, but given that contributions are limited at $10,000 per election cycle from PACs to campaigns, $5,000 per calendar year from PACs to PACs, and $4,800 from individuals to campaigns, it takes some creativity and effort to get a lot of money into politicians' coffers.
For his part, President Obama has received just over $19.4 million from the health industry, meaning the total health care industry money in the room will be around $47 million (not counting past donations to Rahm Emanueland HHS Secretary Kathleen Sebelius, for instance).
In order from most to least, here's CREW's list of summit attendees and how much they've gotten from the industry:
• Sen. Max Baucus (D-MT) received at least $2,557,930.
• Sen. Mitch McConnell (R-KY) received at least $2,223,985.
• Rep. Eric Cantor (R-VA) received at least $1,982,904.
• Rep. Charles Rangel (D-NY) received at least $1,897,093.
• Rep. Steny Hoyer (D-MD) received at least $1,842,311.
• Rep. Joe Barton (R-TX) received at least $1,646,218.
• Rep. John Boehner (R-OH) received at least $1,645,025.
• Sen. Harry Reid (D-NV) received at least $1,640,375.
• Sen. Jon Kyl (R-AZ) received at least $1,638,722.
• Sen. Chuck Grassley (R-IA) received at least $1,384,520.
• Rep. Dave Camp (R-MI) received at least $1,262,787.
• Sen. Chris Dodd (D-CT) received at least $1,225,900.
• Sen. Tom Harkin (D-IA) received at least $1,149,165.
• Rep. John Dingell (D-MI) received at least $1,088,360.
• Speaker Nancy Pelosi (D-CA) received at least $1,055,600.
• Rep. James Clyburn (D-SC) received at least $1,033,079.
• Sen. Mike Enzi (R-WY) received at least $817,961.
• Sen. Dick Durbin (D-IL) received at least $726,434.
• Rep. Henry Waxman (D-CA) received at least $706,051.
• Rep. George Miller (D-CA) received at least $222,784.
• Rep. John Kline (R-MN) received at least $197,250.
We want to hear what you think about this article. Submit a letter to the editor or write to email@example.com.