Below, the White House Talking Points.
TOPLINE POINTS ON SCOTUS ANNOUNCEMENT
** Not for Distribution**
The President's Approach:
· The President believes that selecting someone to replace Justice Souter is one of his most serious responsibilities. He vowed to seek someone with a sharp and independent mind, and a record of excellence and integrity. As a former constitutional law professor, he believes it paramount to select someone who rejects ideology and shares his deep respect for the Constitutional values on which this nation was founded.
· But, as the President has made clear, upholding those constitutional values requires more than just the intellectual ability to apply a legal rule to a set of facts. It requires a common sense understanding of how laws affect the daily realities of people's lives.
Judge Sonia Sotomayor:
- Judge Sonia Sotomayor embodies those qualities -- as someone who brings not only brilliance in the law but a common sense understanding of how the law practically works.
- Her American story and three decade career in nearly every aspect of the law provide Judge Sotomayor with unique qualifications to be the next Supreme Court justice.
· She has been hailed as "a role model of aspiration, discipline, commitment, intellectual prowess and integrity" for her ascent to the federal bench from an upbringing in a South Bronx housing project, and as "one of the ablest federal judges currently sitting" for her thoughtful opinions.