The top five prospects, based on reporting, observation and mostly guesswork, in no particular order. And yes, these lists change from week to week. That's part of the fun.
1. Gov. Kathleen Sebelius (D-KS) -- She and Jim Johnson had some quality time together at the Bilderberg meeting before Johnson was axed....
2. The Virginia boys: Kaine and Webb. Still in that order.
3. Ex-Sen. Tom Daschle (D-SD) The Consiglieri would be an ideal choice: he's trusted, knowledgeable, competent, white, and older.
4. Sen. Claire McCaskill (D-MO) -- she clearly wants to be considered; she'd be great in a debate with any of the Republicans McCain is considering.
5. Gen. James Jones -- the name leaked for a reason.
Names I'm not hearing about: Sen. Chris Dodd (and he has a new Countrywide crisis to handle) and Joe Biden. Not sure why.
1. Gov. Tim Pawlenty (R-MN) -- still the odds-on favorite, and he's playing this exactly right.
2. Gov. Mitt Romney (R-MA) -- rumors of a rapprochement are not just rumors.
3. Gov. Charlie Crist (R-FL) -- yes, he's back on the list. A senior McCain adviser is talking up in conversations with friends.
4. Gov. Bobby Jindall (R-LA) -- will his college exorcism chase the VP slot away? He's on my list, for now, because McCain wants a governor, but I think his selection is most improbable.
5. Gov. Mark Sanford (R-SC)
We want to hear what you think about this article. Submit a letter to the editor or write to firstname.lastname@example.org.