In Dubuque, Iowa today:
(0) Sen. Barack Obama won a straw poll of UAW Region 4 locals. Region 4 includes Iowa.
(1) 48% of the voting members of UAW's Region 4 came from Illinois. Barack Obama comes from Illinois.
(2) 22% of the voting members come from Iowa. It turns out that, in today's straw balloting, John Edwards won twice as many Iowa locals as Obama did.
But the strength of Obama in Illinois overwhelmed Edwards (and Clinton).
(3) What happened today in Dubuque was not an official endorsement -- it was a recommendation to endorse -- the UAW technically hasn't given its regional council permission to endorse.
(4) Obama probably will get the UAW endorsement in Iowa... and it's certainly a helpful endorsement.... but it should not be treated as a surprise... nor should it technically be treated as an endorsement just yet.
We want to hear what you think about this article. Submit a letter to the editor or write to firstname.lastname@example.org.