It takes a special kind of person to have kept up with my work over the years, following topics from data smog to dog noses to kids toys to Alzheimer's to the ancient origins of chess. I love it when someone shows up at a book signing for The Immortal Game with an old coffee stained copy of Data Smog. Such die-hard readers are to be appreciated, pitied, and feared.
And rewarded. Today I am announcing a special giveaway. A free, signed hardcover or audio copy of my new book
to the first five people who can answer all eight questions below. In the extreme-likelihood that no one gets all eight, prizes will go to the first five to get seven; if no one gets seven, it'll be the first five to get six, etc. Family members and anyone named Gersh Kuntzman not eligible.
1. Who was Jerry Garcia's principal guitar maker; where, specifically, did they first meet; and what was the name of guitar that he first built for Jerry on consignment?
2. My tape recorder batteries died in the kitchen of which literary legend?
3. Which recently-deceased FCC chairman was dumbfounded by my question about the public's less-than-impressive public knowledge of current affairs?
4. What great American writer was in attendance during a thorough roasting by Mark Twain but was unable to appreciate it because of his advanced state of dementia?
5. What American diplomat used chess to try to prevent the onset of the Revolutionary War?
6. What software entrepreneur and philanthropist became an early champion of "technorealism"?
7. What bioethicist told me in 1997: "Human cloning will occur, probably in Chelsea Clinton's lifetime."?
8. What magazine printed my column "Fecal Soup"?
Email answers to: genius [at] davidshenk [dot] com
UPDATE#1: WE HAVE OUR FIRST WINNER: DEBORAH _______ FROM LA JOLLA, CA. CONGRATULATIONS!
UPDATE#2: OUR SECOND WINNER IS JOSEPH _________ FROM WASHINGTON, DC.
UPDATE#3: OUR THIRD WINNER IS YUN ________ FROM COOPERSBURG, PA.
UPDATE#4: OUR FOURTH WINNER IS DAVID _______ FROM MILWAUKEE WI
UPDATE#5: OUR FIFTH WINNER IS TIM _______ FROM LAKE OSWEGO OR
UPDATE#6: BONUS AWARD WINNER IS MATTHEW _______ FROM NEW YORK NY
We want to hear what you think about this article. Submit a letter to the editor or write to email@example.com.
is a writer on genetics, talent and intelligence. He is the author of Data Smog
, The Forgetting
, and most recently, The Genius In All of Us.