Return to this issue's Table of Contents.
J U N E 1 9 9 9
EACH of the nine "Mismatches" clues consists of definitions only for two randomly paired words. With a little help, these words can be matched up with their proper partners for entry in the grid. Solvers will need to add a single letter to each of the defined clue answers and then find the pairs of newly formed words that intersect on the added letters. When all nine pairings have been correctly placed in the diagram, their crossing letters may be read from left to right, column by column, to show what unites them. "Mismatches" clue answers include one proper noun. All other entries, which are clued normally, include three capitalized words.
The instructions above are for this month's puzzle only. See a complete introduction to clue-solving.
See the solution to last month's Puzzler.
1. Hurts half of mismatches with remixing (5)
7. Corner on the outskirts of a large Irish town (6)
9. Total zero in wrestling (4)
10. Loudly announce opening of laundry in nude (5)
11. Managed church and old western farm (6)
12. Social group's time taken up by legal action (5)
13. Taking two pieces of beef from the middle, rotate serving dish (6)
14. A lark's flying around enclosures in South Africa (6)
16. Lady had a salary of about a thousand (6)
19. A simple vessel carrying a Middle Eastern personage (6)
22. Assistance holding C sharp (4)
23. Start to cry and come apart (4)
24. Take in container of coffee for audition (4)
25. Grieving figures caress while going around island (6)
26. Bill's eating hot snacks (6)