Updated on September 26 at 3:15 p.m. ET
Authorities in Charlotte, North Carolina, lifted a curfew after the third-straight peaceful day of demonstrations against the killing of Keith Lamont Scott, a black man shot last week by police. The marches have been calm since protesters won a victory over the weekend: the release of body-camera footage that showed Scott’s death. But it may be the last time this happens in North Carolina, because of a new law that takes effect October 1 that extends police control over the release of body-camera footage and severely restricts who can view it.
The dashboard and body-camera footage released by police, combined with a video shot by Scott’s wife, Rakeyia Scott, have done little to answer what happened on September 20 when Scott was shot outside of an apartment complex as he waited for his child to come home from school. Officers were serving an outstanding warrant on another man when they say they found Scott walking to his truck with a gun. Police said Scott refused to put it down despite repeatedly being told to do so. But Scott’s family said he was reading a book in his truck. The footage offered few answers.
Last Tuesday, the first night of protests to mark Scott’s death, police fought with demonstrators as they marched downtown. Then on Wednesday, a man was shot by another protester during the protests and later died (the alleged shooter was arrested), police fired tear gas at the crowd, and North Carolina Governor Pat McCrory declared a state of emergency. The demonstrators demanded the Charlotte-Mecklenburg Police Department release footage of the shooting. But after police released the tape Saturday, both sides said the footage supported their version of events.