There's been a fence around ground zero for 13 years. This year, part of it will finally come down.
According to the Wall Street Journal, the fence around part of the 9/11 Memorial will be taken down sometime this year:
In 2014, portions of the fence will be dismantled, enabling people to go back and forth freely between the memorial and parts of downtown, according to Joe Daniels, president of the National September 11 Memorial & Museum. He said he is '100 percent' sure it will happen this year, perhaps as early as May when the 9/11 Memorial Museum on the site is scheduled to open.
Currently, the 9/11 memorial can only be seen by ticket-holders, usually after a wait in line. Once the fence comes down, eight of the site's 16 acres will be accessible and integrated with the rest of the city, though residents sued the city earlier this month over what they said were excessive and "fortresslike" security measures around the site, specifically plans to control vehicle access.
This article is from the archive of our partner The Wire.
We want to hear what you think about this article. Submit a letter to the editor or write to firstname.lastname@example.org.