The charge that Trayvon Martin shooter George Zimmerman hid fundraising proceeds from the court during his first bail hearing didn't stop a Florida judge from granting him bail once more, but the court significantly increased the size of his bond. Zimmerman will now have to pony up 10 percent of his new bond of $1 million, in order to gain his freedom while he fights second-degree murder charges for shooting 17-year-old Martin in what Zimmerman says was an act of self-defense. Don't worry, he can afford it. "Defense attorney Mark O'Mara said Friday that Zimmerman's legal defense fund had a balance of $211,000," according to The Orlando Sentinel's Rene Stutzman. Zimmerman had previously been released on $150,000 bail before being ordered back to jail for not disclosing an online campaign that had raised $204,000.
Judge Kenneth Lester chastised Zimmerman in his decision Thursday, Stutzman noted: " 'By any definition, the defendant has flaunted the system,' Lester wrote. 'It appears to this court that the defendant is manipulating the system for his own benefit.' " While he allowed for Zimmerman's release on the significantly increased bond, Lester ordered him to wear a satellite monitoring device, as before, ordered a curfew from 6 p.m. to 6 a.m., and prohibited him from opening a bank account.
This article is from the archive of our partner The Wire.