Today is Pi day and since nobody brought us a pie, we'd thought we'd make our own, in chart form. The nerdy place the Internet is, it's all about celebrating March 14, or 3/14, the date that happens to correspond with the mathematical number π, or (roughly) 3.1415926535897932384626433832795028841971. But, given that the day is just about a numerical coincidence and also happens to involve a very pun-worthy word, there are only so many ways to go about doing it. We found about five ways, actually. And, as one might expect, many go for the food route.
Food (Pie) and Drink (Pi-not) Puns and Mandates
- A Celebratory Glass of Pi-not Grigio? -- The Hairpin
- 14 Pies for National Pi Day -- Neatorama
- Happy Pi Day! Now Go Eat Pie -- Geek
- 5 Pies to Celebrate Pi Day -- The Village Voice
- Politicians and Pie -- MSNBC
- It's National Pi Day (And Yes, You Should Eat Some Pie To Celebrate) -- Gothamist
- Happy Pi Day -- Barack Obama via Twitter via Instagram
Literal Numerical Interpretations
- 3. 1415926535897932384 -- BoingBoing
Happy Pi Day, Nerds! Here’s Pi to Around
100,0001 Digit -- Gawker
3.14 Ways to Celebrate
- Pi Day: 3.14 ways you can celebrate The Washington Post
- 3.14 Ways to Celebrate Pi Day Forbes
- How to celebrate Pi Day: The geekiest time of the year TNW
- Happy Pi Day: 10 Accessories for Math Geeks -- Mashable
- Hapi Day -- Times Wordplay Blog and Wednesday's Crossword Puzzle Theme
- If You Read Pi Long Enough, You’ll Find Hamlet -- Gizmodo
This article is from the archive of our partner The Wire.
We want to hear what you think about this article. Submit a letter to the editor or write to firstname.lastname@example.org.