Dear Atlantic Reader,
In the world of journalism, the “masthead” is the section that details who makes the publication what it is.
Throughout our history, the who of The Atlantic has included some of the most important voices of their generations: from Mark Twain, Frederick Douglass, and Julia Ward Howe, to Ernest Hemingway, Sylvia Plath, and Martin Luther King Jr., to, more recently, Ta-Nehisi Coates, Hanna Rosin, and James Fallows.
But there’s another profoundly important who: you, our reader.
Your support makes our journalism possible. You enable us to continue reporting on the issues that matter—and to do so in new and ambitious ways.
So we created The Masthead to build an even closer relationship with you.
When you become a member, you’ll enjoy a range of benefits (including exclusive content and ad-free website browsing) and a deeper connection with our writers and editors, while helping to fund their work—now and into the future.
Every week, you’ll get members-only stories and insights, including:
- Conversations with leading thinkers, writers, and newsmakers across our network
- Weekly summaries of major trends and events around the world
- Extensions and recaps of Atlantic reporting and writing you don’t want to miss
- Behind-the-scenes looks at the reporting and editing process
- Responses from our editorial team to questions from members like you
Ad-Free Browsing and Listening
When you join The Masthead, you’ll be able to:
- Browse all sections and stories on The Atlantic's website 100% ad-free
- Listen to our podcasts —including Radio Atlantic, Crazy/Genius, and The Atlantic Interview—with zero interruptions
Your Masthead benefits also include:
- Free print & digital subscription to The Atlantic magazine (the print subscription is optional—it’s yours if you want it)
- Free digital gift subscription to share with a fellow reader
- Discounts and priority access to signature Atlantic events, including The Atlantic Festival
- Dedicated Masthead section within The Atlantic’s iOS app
You’ll be invited to join a private discussion forum, where you can:
- Meet other members from around the world
- Join smart and thought-provoking discussions (or a book club)
- Participate in Q&As with journalists, historians, ethicists, and more
Become A Member At Our Lowest Rate
The value of these benefits—from exclusive content to ad-free website access—is hard to quantify.
That said, we want to make membership accessible to as many people as possible—and create a sustainable model. On the latter note, we plan to increase the price of The Masthead in the future.
But when you join today, you’ll pay only $120 per year for an annual subscription, or $12 per month for a month-to-month subscription.
Plus, your order is protected by our full money-back guarantee: If you’re unsatisfied at any point with your membership, just let us know, and we’ll refund you the unused portion of your first year, no questions asked.
If you’re compelled by the opportunity to become a member of The Masthead and support The Atlantic’s journalism, sign up today.