Dear Atlantic Reader,
In magazines, “the masthead” is the section that details who makes the publication what it is.
Throughout our history, the who of The Atlantic has often consisted of the most important voices of their generation: from Mark Twain, Ernest Hemingway, and Julia Ward Howe, to Frederick Douglass, Martin Luther King, Jr., and Robert F. Kennedy, to, more recently, Ta-Nehisi Coates, Hanna Rosin, and James Fallows.
We want to add an important voice to that list: you.
When you become a member of The Masthead, you help drive what we cover, and how we cover it.
Which means you’ll not only receive exclusive stories and insights about the most consequential issues of our time, driven by your interests and questions; you’ll also be playing a crucial role in advancing the editorial work The Atlantic performs every day.
On that note, a portion of your membership fees will now support The Masthead Reporting Fund—a new initiative to enable ambitious, resource-intensive journalism that The Atlantic otherwise wouldn’t be able to pursue. Specifically, we’ll be focusing on longer-term, in-depth reporting projects, all in the public interest.
As a member, you’ll receive exclusive access to updates from the field, progress reports, and sneak peaks at stories before they go live—while funding some of The Atlantic’s most important journalistic work.
Become a Founding Member Today
When you join The Masthead, you’ll receive a number of benefits, including:
- A one-time, special “Founding Member” rate, which we’ll be offering to a limited number of new members
- A free digital and print subscription to The Atlantic magazine (the print subscription is optional—it’s yours if you want it)
- Exclusive, members-only stories and insights from Atlantic editors, writers, and experts, informed by you
- Discounts and priority access to signature Atlantic events
- The opportunity to connect with Atlantic writers and fellow readers
- Direct access to the editors and staff of The Masthead
Meaningful Stories and Insights—Available Only to Members
Here’s a sampling of the exclusive content you can expect to receive:
- Daily explorations of important ideas, trends, and issues
- Interviews and conversations with Atlantic writers, editors, and influential thinkers and leaders across our network
- Long-form reports that go in-depth on topics of import and consequence
- Responses to questions that you, as founding members, submit to our writers, editors, and contributors
- Previews of upcoming stories, and recaps of arguments and debates sparked by Atlantic journalism
- Members-only updates from our editor in chief, Jeffrey Goldberg
Become Part of The Atlantic’s Future
As a founding member, you’ll be invited to a private discussion group, where you can submit feedback directly to our editorial staff, ask questions of our newsroom, and meet other readers.
Want to see new and different features, or have an idea for a coverage area or specific story? Tell us. Don’t like certain aspects of The Masthead, or see areas for improvement? Shoot us a note.
Of course, if you want only to enjoy the content, that’s perfectly fine. But we're welcoming feedback—a direct, collaborative relationship with The Atlantic.
Plus, you’ll be funding a new model of independent journalism, one based on an intimate connection between our readers and our newsroom.
A Special Rate Only for Founding Members
The true value of becoming a founding member is difficult to quantify. We’ve hired a new editorial team, whom you’ll meet after you join. We’re providing you with members-only content on a daily basis. And we’re building a new community of Atlantic readers, interested in an open exchange of ideas.
That said, we want to make this as accessible to as many people as possible—and to create a sustainable model. On the latter note, we do plan to increase the price of The Masthead in the future.
But we want to reward, and thank, you for jumping in early. So when you join as a founding member today, you’ll pay only $120 per year for an annual subscription, or $12 per month for a month-to-month subscription.
Plus, your order is protected by a full money-back guarantee: If you’re unsatisfied at any point with your membership, just let us know, and we’ll refund you the unused portion of your first year, no questions asked.
We won’t be able to offer this special rate forever—so, if you’re compelled by the opportunity to become a founding member of The Masthead, make sure to sign up today.