We predict you’re going to have some trouble fitting 11 of the clue answers below into the puzzle diagram. What makes us so sure? We’ve looked into your future with our paranormal powers of prognostication. The unclued Across entry in the center of the diagram reveals our message—and our medium. To make your progress all the cloudier, answer lengths have been withheld from the clues. There are six capitalized answers.
The solution to last month’s Puzzler appears on page 108.
1. Baseball player, one of the last remaining Reds, losing face
5. Overheated forms of public transportation leading to travel stops
stops 9. Fur-bearing shrew that’s not too thin in winter?
10.Someone like Grumpy or Doc finally cast
11. Remove a coat filled with down for father
13. Religious teacher rips something on TV? (two words)
15. Spike, seated in gallery, is sadder
16. Monastery’s head wears collar for a kind of support
18. The sound made by somebody hurting a lot?
22. Astrologers grunt after the first half of mass
23. Laramie may be developed into a seaport
25. Routine adopted by Greek god capable of changing shape
26. Minors team, in essence, displays passion
28. Dance in brown and green?
30. Falls overlooking large vaulted structures
31. Guides together with a hundred males behind barnyard shed
32. Wrong U-turn ruined end of drive
33. Something put around front of runway that’s not long enough
Drive into south of wood for secluded community of Hindus
Receiving wood with salt, look for a raw deal at a restaurant? (two words)
3. Unfinished strip dance
4. Army member, shelled, hit once
once The woman’s right address in Germany
6. Great review garnered by next poem (two words)
7. Eastern university with attractive name for a woman
a woman 8. Said NFL football player is illegal receiver?
10. Basketlike racket that’s French article
12.Each nun is a dogged person
14. Resolved Arab’s entire puzzle
17. Art supporter following Monet’s Last Flower
19. Board game is won by alien with a swelled head?
20. Young lady maintains “Time doesn’t run out”
21. Lowest musician’s sound
24. Boy I’m returning for Crete’s king
25. Prospector’s first gold found around recent mesa
27. Spray incapacitating gas on staff
29. Exclamation one censored from Midwest state
ANSWERS TO THE AUGUST PUZZLER
Border letters read “Spell with scattered nectar.” Answer: TRANCE (anag.). Clues. 1. THALER (first letters) 2. SA(L)UTE 3. C(H)ASTB 4. UTAHAN (hidden) 5. SIRE + NS 6. L(UP)INE 7. STUPOR (homophone) 8. SANDER (anag.) 9. NUTTED (anag.) 10. SWAM + I’S 11.1 + NSIDE (snide anag.) 12. DO + PIER 13. ERO DE)S 14. ERAS + ED 15. HETERO (anag.) 16. LLAM(A)S (small rev.) 17. A + Mt(D)ST 18. s + PARED 19. G + ARDEN 20. SALINE (anag.) 21. AMOR + A + L 22.HOM(l)ER 23. TERESA (anag.) 24. S(PIN)ET 25. PIP + A + GE 26. SING(E)S 27. S(1 + L)AGE 28. I(MAGE)D 29. PLANER (homophone) 30. P1N(A)TA 31. s + C(R)APE 32. C(A)RESS 33. R(EG)ENT 34. SLATER (double def.) 35. AERA + TE (rev.) 36. CANTER (pun)