Live Coverage

Today's News: March 8, 2017

Fire breaks out in Guatemalan children’s shelter, a deadly ISIS attack in Kabul, and more from the United States and around the world.

Saul Martinez / Reuters

—At least 19 people were killed and 25 others injured after a fire broke out at a children’s shelter outside Guatemala City. More here

—ISIS militants dressed as doctors have attacked Kabul’s largest military hospital, killing at least three people, officials and news reports say. The death toll is expected to climb. More here

—We’re tracking the news stories of the day below. All updates are in Eastern Standard Time (GMT -5).

Updates

This live blog has concluded

Fire at Guatemalan Children's Shelter Leaves 19 Dead

Family members wait for news of their loved ones after a fire broke out at a children’s shelter outside Guatemala City, Guatemala, on March 8, 2017. (Saul Martinez / Reuters)

At least 19 people were killed and 25 others injured Tuesday after a fire broke out at a children’s shelter outside Guatemala City, a spokesman for Guatemala’s volunteer fire department said. It is unclear what started the blaze, which began Tuesday morning at the Virgen de Asuncion home in San Jose Pinula, a shelter for abused minors located approximately 15 miles (25 kilometers) southwest of the Guatemalan capital. Approximately 60 minors managed to escape the shelter, which has the capacity to hold up to 400 children—though it reportedly houses more than 100 people over that capacity. Residents have criticized the shelter for overcrowding and poor living conditions in the past, according to local media reports, and some child advocates have called for the shelter’s closure.

Kim Jong Nam's Son Makes First Video Appearance Since His Father's Death

People watch a broadcast of Kim Jong Nam’s son, Kim Han Sol, in Seoul, South Korea, on March 8, 2017. (Lee Jin-man / AP)

The son of Kim Jong Nam, the half-brother of North Korean leader Kim Jong Un, appeared in a YouTube video Tuesday, marking his first public appearance since his father’s death last month. “My name is Kim Han Sol from North Korea, part of the Kim family,” he said before showing the camera his passport, which was blacked out. “My father has been killed a few days ago. I’m currently with my mother and my sister … We hope this gets better soon.” Cheollima Civil Defense, the group that posted the 40-second video, said it moved the three family members in response to an emergency request by Kim Jong Nam last month for extradition and protection. They were previously believed to be in Macau, though there was never any definitive confirmation of their location. Cheollima Civil Defense, whose website offers to protect North Koreans seeking to escape, said the video “will be the first and last statement on this particular matter, and the present whereabouts of this family will not be addressed.” Malaysian authorities have arrested two women in connection with the murder of Kim Jong Nam, who died in Malaysia’s Kuala Lumpur International Airport last month after being exposed to a nerve agent. Kim Jon Nam fell out of favor with his father, Kim Jong Il, in 2001 and is believed to have lived in exile ever since. He held no formal title and expressed no interest in power. Malaysian authorities, who are seeking the arrest of two North Koreans said to be hiding at the country’s embassy in Kuala Lumpur, have accused Pyongyang of orchestrating the assassination. North Korea has denied involvement, and announced a ban barring Malaysians from leaving the country over the dispute. Malaysia retaliated with its own ban. Kim Han Sol, who spent most of his life living in Macau, said in a 2012 interview that he never met his grandfather, Kim Jong Il, or his uncle, Kim Jong Un, whom he described as a “dictator.”

At Least 30 Dead in an ISIS Attack on a Military Hospital in Kabul

(Mohammad Ismail / Reuters)

Updated at 8:44 a.m.

Militants dressed as doctors entered Kabul’s largest military hospital Wednesday, killing at least 30 people, General Dawlat Waziri, a Defense Ministry spokesman, said. Dozens were also wounded in the attack. The Taliban, the largest militant group in Afghanistan, denied responsibility. The group is typically quick to claim credit when it carries out attacks. ISIS, via its Amaq news agency, claimed credit, and provided a much higher death toll. The attack at the Sardar Mohammad Daud Khan Hospital began at approximately 9 a.m. local time. The BBC quoted a hospital worker who escaped as saying an attacker “wearing a white coat [and] holding a Kalashnikov [opened] fire on everyone, including the guards, patients, and doctors.” The Tolo News Agency, citing an unnamed source, said there were four attackers. Afghan security forces responded almost immediately. At about 3 p.m. local time, Sediq Sediqqi, the Afghan Foreign Ministry spokesman, tweeted the counterterrorism operation was over and “terrorists involved in today’s attack are all killed.” Although the Taliban has been the predominant militant group in Afghanistan, ISIS has gained ground in recent months, staging bloody attacks that even the Taliban has criticized. In July 2016, suicide bombers killed about 80 people, mostly from the Shia Hazara community, in Kabul and wounded more than 200 others. Last month, ISIS struck the Afghan Supreme Court in the capital, killing 22 people and wounding dozens of others.