▼ Click the word "playlist" to access a full list of videos from this event.
The Atlantic convened key voices behind urban transformation initiatives across the country to examine the most effective models for creating lasting solutions to complex social problems. While approaches differ from one community to the next, the most successful initiatives are setting ambitious goals to improve low income neighborhoods and increase economic mobility by working across sectors and developing partnerships that span education, housing, health care and workforce development.
Through one-on-one interviews, panel discussions and case study presentations from community leaders with proven track records of success, this program explored what’s needed to encourage and support these models, and took a closer look at what it takes to create and sustain collaborative efforts aimed at making cities work for all.
To view photos from this event, please visit our Facebook page.
1:30 p.m. Guest Arrival and Registration
2:00 p.m. Opening Remarks
- Margaret Low Smith, President, AtlanticLIVE
- Brandee McHale, President, Citi Foundation, Director, Corporate Citizenship, Citi
2:10 p.m. Framing the Challenge
- Jennifer Bradley, Founding Director, Center for Urban Innovation, The Aspen Institute
- Interviewed by: Steve Clemons, Washington Editor at Large, The Atlantic
2:30 p.m. More Than Just a Roof
- Juanita James, President and Chief Executive Officer, Fairfield County's Community Foundation
- Cynthia Parker, President and Chief Executive Officer, BRIDGE Housing
- Moderated by: Gillian White, Senior Associate Editor, The Atlantic
3:00 p.m. Changing Neighborhoods, Changing Lives
- Shirley Franklin, Chief Executive Officer, Purpose Built Communities
- Interviewed by: Steve Clemons
3:30 p.m. Keeping Our Promises to the Next Generation
- John Gomperts, President and Chief Executive Officer, America’s Promise
- Dixon Slingerland, Executive Director, Youth Policy Institute
- Moderated by: Gillian White
4:00 p.m. Tackling Unemployment: A Focused Learning Process
- Rosanne Haggerty, President and Chief Executive Officer, Community Solutions
4:30 p.m. Closing Remarks
- Nancy O. Andrews, President and Chief Executive Officer, Low Income Investment Fund
- Margaret Low Smith
4:40 p.m. Program Concludes
A Global Battle: An Atlantic Forum on HIV/AIDS Today
What is the state of the HIV/AIDS epidemic at home and abroad?
The Constitution in Crisis:
What Would the Founders Say
The Constitution in Crisis: What would the founders say?