In today’s hyperconnected world, the ‘next big thing’ travels from country to country almost as quickly as each new idea can be formed. What’s Next? Navigating Global Challenges with the Innovation Generation highlighted today’s game-changing ideas and the individuals who are transcending borders to solve the world’s most pressing problems. The summit, hosted at the Yas Viceroy, showcased forward-looking thinkers working in areas including: next-generation aerospace engineering and design; sustainable and diverse energy economies; and big data and mobile technology, with a focus on cross-sector innovation.
To see photos from the event, visit our Facebook page.
Live Stream Agenda for Wednesday, November 5 (all times listed are Gulf Time Zone)
9:00 a.m. Opening Remarks
- David G. Bradley, Chairman, Atlantic Media
9:10 a.m. Is A More Connected World A More Collaborative One?
- Jim McNerney, Chairman and Chief Executive Officer, The Boeing Company
- Interviewer: Mohammed Al Otaiba, Editor in Chief, The National
9:50 a.m. The Revolution In Education: Reinventing Higher Ed
- Fred Moavenzadeh, President, Masdar Institute
- Interviewer: Mary Louise Kelly, Contributing Editor, AtlanticLIVE
10:10 a.m. Where’s Next? Silicon Valley 2.0
- Dave McClure, Angel Investor and Founding Partner, 500 Startups
- Interviewer: Steve Clemons, Washington Editor at Large, The Atlantic
10:40 a.m. Who Innovates? Defining Genius
- Abdullah S. Al Darmaki, Chief Executive Officer, Khalifa Fund
- Ahmed Elmagarmid, Executive Director, Qatar Computing Research Institute
- Yousef Hamidaddin, Chief Executive Officer, Oasis500
- Tuba Terekli, Co-Founder and Chief Executive Officer, Qotuf Al Riyadah Development Company
- Moderator: John Defterios, Emerging Markets Editor, CNN
11:10 a.m. The State Of Arab Media: Nurturing The Spielbergs Of The Middle East
- Noura Al Kaabi, Chief Executive Officer, Twofour54
- Interviewer: Mary Louise Kelly
11:30 a.m. Gateway To Innovation: Entrepreneurship At The Center
- Fadi Ghandour, Managing Partner, Wamda Capital; Founder, Aramex
- Interviewer: John Donvan, Contributing Editor, The Atlantic; Correspondent, ABC News
12:00 p.m. Can You Put A Price On Innovation?
- Nafez Dakkak, Director, Edraak
- Suneet Singh Tuli, Chief Executive Officer, Datawind
- Moderator: Mohammed Al Otaiba, Editor in Chief, The National
12:30 p.m. Man vs. Machine: Is Humankind Threatened By Its Own Devices?
- Nick Boström, Director of The Future Of Humanity Institute and Programme On The Impacts Of Future Technology, Oxford University; Author, Superintelligence
- Interviewer: John Donvan
1:00 p.m. Fresh From The Lab: Next-Generation Design
- Azza Abouzied, Co-Director of The Design Technology Lab, NYU Abu Dhabi
- Jay Chen, Co-Director of The Design Technology Lab, NYU Abu Dhabi
- Philippe Forestier, Executive Vice President of Global Affairs and Communities, Dassault Systèmes
- Moderator: Steve Clemons
1:30 p.m. Behind The Wheel With Facebook
- Terry Kane, Head of Travel and Auto, Mena, Facebook
- Interviewer: Nina Curley, Managing Director, Flat6labs Abu Dhabi
1:55 p.m. Making People Who Make Tech
- Brad Hargreaves, Co-Founder, General Assembly
- Interviewer: Christopher M. Schroeder, Internet Entrepreneur and Author, Startup Rising
2:20 p.m. Cyber Security: Safeguarding Secrets In A Hyperconnected World
- Marta Arsovska Tomovska, Deputy Minister of Information Society and Administration, Republic of Macedonia
- Mahir Nayfeh, Senior Vice President, Booz Allen Hamilton
- Moderator: Mary Louise Kelly
2:40 p.m. From Idea To Innovation
- Hala Fadel, Chair, MIT Enterprise Forum, Pan-Arab Region
- Cody Friesen, Founder, Fluidic Energy and Zero Mass Labs
- Hany Al-Sonbaty, Co-Founder, Sawari Ventures and Flat6labs
- Moderator: Christopher M. Schroeder
3:10 p.m. Disruption: What’s Next Is Now
- Katie Bisbee, Chief Marketing Officer, Donorschoose.Org
- Leslie Dewan, Co-Founder and Chief Executive Officer, Transatomic Power
- Habib Haddad, Chief Executive Officer, Wamda
- Brian Mullins, Chief Executive Officer, DAQRI
- Moderator: Steve Clemons
3:45 p.m. End of live stream
Also in This Series
WHAT'S NEXT? imagined the future and articulated the transformative ideas that will give it shape.
Big Science Summit
On October 30th, The Atlantic’s Big Science Summit will celebrate revolutionary new ideas and technologies with an eye to the future, asking questions about investments in science research and the viability of cutting edge technologies. Bringing many of the country’s leading scientists and innovators together on stage, The Atlantic’s Big Science Summit will underscore the relationship between science and innovation, celebrate recent scientific coups, and look ahead to what’s next.
In Pursuit of Happiness
The Atlantic will host a live event that explores the human hold on happiness—and aims to find ways to build a more meaningful life.