America is witnessing a surge of civic innovation where local entrepreneurs are taking the lead in finding creative solutions to the country’s most pressing social and economic challenges. For the past year, Atlantic Media has been engaged in a nationwide search to identify these pragmatic problem solvers from among local government, nonprofit groups, small businesses and ordinary citizens.
That search concluded with an event in Des Moines, Iowa recognizing and honoring outstanding grassroots innovators who are improving their communities from the ground up.
Atlantic Media, underwritten by Allstate, presented “The Renewal Awards: Celebrating America’s Local Innovators.” With the 2016 presidential elections as a backdrop, this summit engaged with national and local leaders, showcased innovators and asked how opportunities can be created for even greater innovation across America.
Note: All times are CST
- Tuesday, January 26
- 9:30 a.m.Opening RemarksMargaret Low Smith, President, AtlanticLIVE
- 9:35 a.m.Keynote Remarks & Interview: Talking National Agenda and Local Problem-SolvingNeera Tanden, President, Center for American Progress and Center for American Progress Action Fund
Robert Doar, Morgridge Fellow in Poverty Studies, American Enterprise Institute
With Ron Brownstein, Editorial Director, Atlantic Media
- 10:35 a.m.Innovation in Action: The Iowa Case StudyRob Barron, Chair, Des Moines School Board
The Honorable T.M. Franklin Cownie, Mayor, City of Des Moines, Iowa
Zachary Mannheimer, Vice President, Creative Placemaking, Iowa Business Growth Company
Henny Ohr, Executive Director, Ethnic Minorities of Burma Advocacy and Resource Center
Neera Tanden, President, Center for American Progress and Center for American Progress Action Fund
With Matt Vasilogambros, Staff Correspondent, National Journal
- 11:00 a.m.Unveiling the WinnersPresented by: Ron Brownstein & Tom Wilson
- 12:00 p.m.Closing RemarksMargaret Low Smith, President, AtlanticLIVE
Also in This Series
Renewal Summit: Los Angeles
In L.A., a thriving metropolis that is home to a rich diversity of people from all walks of life, we’ll ask: what will it take to ensure quality of life and greater opportunity for all area residents?