This campaign season, highly public debates about the intersection of feminism, misogyny and sexism have exposed a dark side of American politics and society. As these debates continue, The Atlantic explored the changing landscape of American demographics, the politics of gender perceptions and the role women play in leadership.
Watch full session videos
To view photos from this event, please visit our Facebook page
- Tuesday, December 13
- 9:00 a.m.WelcomeMargaret Low, President, AtlanticLIVE
- 9:05 a.m.Did Gender Matter?Jen O’Malley Dillon, Former Deputy Campaign Manager, Obama 2012 and Co-Founder, Precision Strategies
Margie Omero, Executive Vice President of Public Affairs, PSB Research
Melissa Harris-Perry, Maya Angelou Presidential Chair, Wake Forest University
With Peter Beinart, Contributing Editor, The Atlantic
- 9:30 a.m.Case Study: One Woman’s WinGovernor Maggie Hassan, Senator-elect (D-NH)
With Yoni Appelbaum, Washington Bureau Chief, The Atlantic
- 9:55 a.m.Playing the Gender Card When the Deck is Stacked: Candidates, Voters, and Biases
Produced by our underwriter, Barbara Lee Family Foundation*Kelly Dittmar, Assistant Professor of Political Science Scholar, Center for American Women in Politics
Adrienne Kimmell, Executive Director, Barbara Lee Family Foundation
With Barbara Lee, Founder and President, Barbara Lee Family Foundation
* This session is produced by our underwriter and not by the event’s editorial team.
- 10:05 a.m.Looking Ahead: What 2016 Means for Gender and PoliticsNia-Malika Henderson, Senior Political Reporter, CNN
Jay Newton Small, Washington Correspondent, TIME Magazine and Author, Broad Influence
With Michelle Cottle, Contributing Editor, The Atlantic
- 10:30 a.m.ClosingMargaret Low, AtlanticLIVE
Unthinkable: The 50 Moments that Define the Trump Presidency
On January 22nd, join some of the writers behind the stories as they discuss the notable events in the Trump presidency and where the president and the country go from here.