Successful cybersecurity can no longer be a game of whack-a-mole, patching gaps after hacks. A robust defense requires a paradigm shift of thinking. Looking ahead to the next five years and beyond, how can we swing the pendulum toward a new era of cyber strength? What will it take for a moonshot effort, akin to the Kennedy charge to get to the moon, to secure our cyber world for today and tomorrow?
The Atlantic brought together leading stakeholders across industries including technology, higher education, health care and government to examine the defense of the future.
Watch full session videos
- Thursday, October 12
- 8:30 a.m.WelcomeMargaret Low, President, AtlanticLIVE
- 8:35 a.m.The Role of Congress Rep. Will Hurd (R-TX)
With Steve Clemons, Washington Editor at Large, The Atlantic
- 9:00 a.m.Defining a Cyber Moonshot - The Journey to Cyber Resilience*
Produced by our underwriter AccentureGus Hunt, Cyber Practice Lead, Accenture Federal Services
- 9:10 a.m. Building a Safer WebAllison Miller, Product Manager, Security and Privacy, Google
Susan Hennessey, Fellow in National Security in Governance Studies, The Brookings Institution
Eric Trexler, Executive Director for Civilian and National Security Programs, McAfee
Mark Ryland, Director of Solutions Architecture and Chief Architect World Wide Public Sector Team, Amazon Web Services
With Steve Clemons,The Atlantic
- 9:40 a.m.Protecting Critical InfrastructureJennings Aske, Chief Information Security Officer, New York-Presbyterian Hospital
Scott Aaronson, Executive Director of Security and Business Continuity, Edison Electric Institute
With Kathleen Koch, Contributor, AtlanticLIVE
- 10:00 a.m.Educating the Cyber Experts of TomorrowRoncs Etame-Ese, Student, Associate of Applied Sciences in Cybersecurity Program, Northern Virginia Community College
Michael Hicks, Professor of computer science, University of Maryland; Founding Director, Maryland Cybersecurity Center
Cameron Peters, Student, Cybersecurity Program, George Washington University College of Professional Studies
Scott White, Associate Professor and Director, Cybersecurity Program, George Washington University College of Professional Studies
With Kathleen Koch, AtlanticLIVE
- 10:30 a.m.Cyberdefense Around the Globe Andrea Glorioso, Counsellor, Digital Economy and Cyber, Delegation of the European Union to the US
Samir Jain, Partner, Jones Day
Gordon Goldstein, Adjunct Senior Fellow, Council on Foreign Relations
With Steve Clemons, The Atlantic
- 11:00 a.m.Closing ThoughtsMargaret Low, AtlanticLIVE
People v. Cancer: Battling Cancer in the Time of COVID
What does it mean to live with cancer during a global pandemic?
Race, Justice & Equity
We’ll explore how to reform, and possibly rebuild, a criminal justice system that has for too long been based on racial inequities.