As Washington debates how to reshape health care and Americans struggle to pay for lifesaving drugs, The Atlantic hosted a discussion focused on exploring value-based drug pricing. The Future of Prescription Drugs: Assessing Value convened leading health policy thinkers and practitioners to grapple with how to strike the balance between managing drug prices without stifling innovation. We explored how the principles of value-based programs — which reward health care providers based on quality of care as measured by patient outcomes — can be applied to pharmaceuticals.
Watch full session videos
To view photos from this event, please visit our Facebook page
- Wednesday, April 19
- 8:30 a.m.WelcomeMargaret Low, President, AtlanticLIVE
- 8:35 a.m.Demystifying Drug PricingHenry Aaron, Bruce and Virginia MacLaury Senior Fellow, Brookings Institution
Elizabeth Fowler, Vice President for Global Health Policy, Johnson & Johnson
Gail Wilensky, Senior Fellow and Economist, Project HOPE
With Steve Clemons, Washington Editor at Large, The Atlantic
- 9:05 a.m.The Evolution of the Value Conversation
Produced by our underwriter Eli Lilly and Company*Gregory Daniel, Deputy Director, Duke-Margolis Center for Health Policy
Eleanor Perfetto, Senior Vice President of Strategic Initiatives, National Health Council
With Mark Nagy, Vice President, Global Patient Outcomes & Real World Evidence, Eli Lilly and Company
* This session was produced by our underwriter and not by The Atlantic’s editorial team.
- 9:15 a.m.The Patient Experience and Value-Based Drug PricingAlan Balch, CEO, National Patient Advocate Foundation
Susan Dentzer, President and CEO, Network for Excellence in Healthcare Innovation
Tonya Winders, President and CEO, Allergy & Asthma Network
With Alex Wagner, Contributing Editor, The Atlantic
- 9:45 a.m.The Role of RegulationGerard Anderson, Professor of Health Policy and Management, Johns Hopkins University Bloomberg School of Public Health
Amy Comstock Rick, President and CEO, Food and Drug Law Institute
Andrew von Eschenbach, President, Samaritan Health Initiatives; Former Commissioner, Food and Drug Administration
With Steve Clemons, The Atlantic
- 10:15 a.m.Closing ThoughtsMargaret Low, AtlanticLIVE
A Global Battle: An Atlantic Forum on HIV/AIDS Today
What is the state of the HIV/AIDS epidemic at home and abroad?
The Constitution in Crisis:
What Would the Founders Say
The Constitution in Crisis: What would the founders say?