Nothing excites the mind and sparks our curiosity like space. As programs like New Horizons push to the edge of our solar system, private companies have reignited the next generation space race. And as the red planet has grabbed our attention, what combination of players and technologies will have to come together to make a successful mission to Mars?
The Atlantic surveyed a shifting landscape of new technologies, exploring the cosmos by gathering experts on the growing space industry and the future of space and extraterrestrial travel. Where will the next space race take us, what are the challenges facing the mission and what do we need to know, build and create to get there?
Watch full session videos
To view photos from this event, please visit our Facebook page
- Tuesday, May 16
- 1:30 p.m.WelcomeMargaret Low, President, AtlanticLIVE
- 1:35 p.m.The Future for NASARobert Lightfoot, Acting Administrator, NASA
With Alison Stewart,Contributor, AtlanticLIVE
- 2:00 p.m.Making the Checklist Ellen Stofan, Former Chief Scientist, NASA
With Ross Andersen, Senior Editor, The Atlantic
- 2:20 p.m.Making the Mission to Mars Compute
Produced by our underwriter HPE*Kirk Bresniker, Chief Architect and Fellow, Hewlett Packard Labs, HPE
* This session was produced by our underwriter and not by The Atlantic’s editorial team.
- 2:30 p.m.The Tools for the TaskChris Carberry, CEO and Co-Founder, Explore Mars, Inc.
Robert Zubrin, Founder and President, Mars Society
Mary Lynne Dittmar, Executive Director, Coalition for Deep Space Exploration
With Alexis Madrigal, Staff Writer, The Atlantic
- 3:00 p.m.The View from The HillSenator Ted Cruz (R-TX); Chairman, US Senate Subcommittee on Space, Science and Competitiveness
With Ross Andersen, The Atlantic
- 3:25 p.m.Preparing the Body and MindSheyna Gifford, Member, HI SEAS IV
Kris Lehnhardt, Assistant Professor, Department of Emergency Medicine, The George Washington University School of Medicine and Health Sciences
Michael Lopez-Alegria, Principal, MLA Space, LLC; Former Astronaut, NASA
With Alison Stewart, AtlanticLIVE
- 3:50 p.m.Closing ThoughtsMargaret Low, AtlanticLIVE
The Atlantic Festival
Now in its 10th year, The Atlantic Festival will tackle the most consequential issues of our time with some of the nation's most important leaders from business, politics and culture.