Philadelphia, Pennsylvania is fast becoming a hotspot for health innovation. With experts from the area’s academic institutions, hospitals, and wider health and business communities converging to create a vibrant health technology scene, the city provides a window into the exciting opportunities for improving health outcomes through technological solutions, from big data to apps to wearables.
The Atlantic hosted a town hall event, where we convened entrepreneurs, doctors, researchers, business leaders, patient advocates, and health officials to discuss what technology can do to enhance care and encourage healthy living.
The Barnes Foundation
2025 Benjamin Franklin Parkway
To see photos from the event, visit our Facebook page.
9:00 a.m. Welcome Remarks
- Margaret Low Smith President, AtlanticLIVE
9:05 a.m. Sponsor Content Program: "Leading the Transformation of Health Care": Daniel J. Hilferty, President and CEO, Independence Blue Cross
9:20 a.m. One-on-One Interview
- Matt Mohebbi, Co-Founder and Chief Technology Officer, Iodine; Co-Inventor, Google Flu Trends
- Interviewer: Peter Beinart, Contributing Editor, The Atlantic
10:05 a.m. Next Generation Health: Tech, Transparency, and Big Data
- Stephen J. Downs, Chief Technology and Information Officer, Robert Wood Johnson Foundation
- Raina Merchant, Assistant Professor, Emergency Medicine and Director, Social Media and Health Innovation Lab, Penn Medicine
- David Sontag, Professor of Computer Science, New York University
- Elliot Menschik, Managing Partner, DreamIT Health
- Moderator: Steve Clemons, Washington Editor at Large, The Atlantic
10:55 a.m. One-on-One Interview
- Dr. Marty Cetron, Director, Division of Global Migration and Quarantine, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention
- Interviewer: Peter Beinart
11:10 a.m. Program Concludes
Also in This Series
A Global Battle: An Atlantic Forum on HIV/AIDS Today
What is the state of the HIV/AIDS epidemic at home and abroad?
The Constitution in Crisis:
What Would the Founders Say
The Constitution in Crisis: What would the founders say?