Louisiana is consistently ranked as one of the least healthy states in America, with high rates of obesity, cardiovascular disease, diabetes and other chronic illnesses that contribute to some of the highest medical costs in the country. The state provides a window into the challenges facing healthcare systems across America, where increasing rates of chronic disease are driving escalating costs–but also are stimulating new solutions.
Our town hall event convened doctors, business leaders, researchers, community organizers, patient advocates, health officials and others, to discuss strategies to promote better health, improve patient outcomes, and rein in costs.
Slides from the Sponsor Content Program, brought to you by Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Louisiana are available here.
Pennington Biomedical Research Center
6400 Perkins Road
Baton Rouge, LA
To see photos from the event, visit our Facebook page.
9:15 a.m. CT Guest Arrival
9:45 a.m. CT/10:45 a.m. ET Welcoming Remarks
- Emily Akhtarzandi, Managing Director, AtlanticLIVE
9:50 a.m. CT/10:50 a.m. ET Sponsor Content Program, brought to you by Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Louisiana
- David Carmouche, Executive Vice President for External Operations and Chief Medical Officer, Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Louisiana
- Mike Reitz, President and Chief Executive Officer, Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Louisiana
10:05 a.m. CT/11:05 a.m. ET One-on-One Interview
- Janet Wright, Executive Director, Million Hearts
- Interviewer: Steve Clemons, Washington Editor at Large, The Atlantic
10:45 a.m. CT/11:45 a.m. ET Mapping Louisiana: A Conversation on Cost & Quality
- Peter Katzmarzyk, Associate Executive Director, Pennington Biomedical Research Center
- Warner Thomas, President and CEO, Ochsner Health System
- Randy Watson, Director of Insurance, Caddo Parish School Board
- Clayton Williams, Director of Health Systems Development, Louisiana Public Health Institute
- Moderator: Steve Clemons
11:35 a.m. CT/12:35 p.m. ET One-on-One Interview
- Elliott Fisher, Director of Dartmouth Institute for Health Policy & Clinical Practice
- Interviewer: Steve Clemons
12:00 p.m. CT/1:00 p.m. ET Program Concludes
Also in This Series
CityLab is a celebration of urban life, bringing together mayors from around the world, along with policymakers and business leaders, artists and activists.