With changing technological advances as part of its DNA, San Francisco is turning its attention to medicine. As it does, ideas sourced by nearby talent pools and ample venture capital investment will strengthen the innovation pipeline bringing about new breakthroughs in medicine.
In the third event of the “Examining Modern Medicine” series, The Atlantic gathered stakeholders, original thinkers and trailblazers from the nation’s innovation capital to explore what it means to put the bio into biotech. Where is the industry headed and what are the moonshots coming out of the Bay Area that could change the world of medicine?
Watch full session videos
- Tuesday, August 01
- 8:30 a.m.WelcomeMargaret Low, President, AtlanticLIVE
- 8:35 a.m.The Innovation LandscapeRegis Kelly, OBE, Executive Director, QB3; Byers Family Distinguished Professor, UCSF
Sara Radcliffe, President and CEO, California Life Sciences Association
Harold Selick, Vice Chancellor, Business Development, Innovation and Partnerships, UCSF
With Alexis Madrigal, Staff Writer, The Atlantic
- 9:05 a.m.Putting the Bio in Biotech: The Challenges and Future of Biopharmaceuticals* Nils Lonberg, Senior Vice President, Oncology Discovery Biology, Bristol-Myers Squibb
With Ron Leuty, Biotech Reporter, San Francisco Business Times
- 9:15 a.m.Making a Bet on BiotechLeon Chen, Venture Partner, OrbiMed
Carol Gallagher, Partner, New Enterprise Associates Inc.
Andrew Schiff, ManagingPartner, Aisling Capital
With Steve Clemons, Washington Editor at Large, The Atlantic
- 9:45 a.m.The Biotech PlayersCary Gunn, CEO and Founder, Genalyte
Sean Harper, Executive Vice President, Research and Development, Amgen
Gabe Otte, CEO and Co-Founder, Freenome
Lynn Seely, CEO, Myovant Sciences
With Alexis Madrigal, The Atlantic
- 10:15 a.m.What Consumers WantRobin Thurston, CEO, Helix
With Christina Farr, Health and Technology Reporter, CNBC
- 10:35 a.m.The Marriage of Big Data and HealthRobert Califf, Advisor, Verily Life Sciences; Professor of Medicine, Duke University; Former Commissioner, FDA
With Steve Clemons, The Atlantic
- 11:00 a.m.Closing ThoughtsMargaret Low, AtlanticLIVE
Also in This Series
The Atlantic Festival
The Atlantic Festival returns Fall 2021.