Roads and bridges are the arteries that keep our economy moving. But years of neglect have left the nation’s infrastructure and transportation systems in a state of disrepair. As federal dollars are on the way to help, the electric grid and municipal water systems have joined the list of critical infrastructure needing improvements nationwide.
There is bipartisan agreement that more needs to be invested to upgrade our infrastructure, but how can cities and states fix what’s broken today and prepare for the transportation system of tomorrow?
The Atlantic gathered policymakers, experts and innovators to lay out the issues and the way forward to bring America’s infrastructure and transportation systems into the 21st century.
Watch full session videos
To view photos from this event, please visit our Facebook page
Note: All times are ET
- Thursday, December 08
- 9:00 a.m.WelcomeMargaret Low, President, AtlanticLIVE
- 9:05 a.m.America’s Failing Infrastructure GradeEd Rendell, Co-Chair, Building America’s Future; former Governor (D-PA)
With Sommer Mathis, Editor, CityLab.com
- 9:30 a.m.The Power of Pavement
Produced by our underwriter, BASF Corporation**Mark Ishee, Vice President of Pavement Preservation, Ergon
Tracy Taylor, Principal, Williams & Jensen
Keith Wade, Business Director, Construction & Fiber Bonding, BASF Corporation
With Maureen Paukert, Director, Corporate Communications, BASF Corporation
* This session is produced by our underwriter and not by the event’s editorial team.
- 9:40 a.m.Rethinking Infrastructure for a Changing ClimateBrendan Shane, Regional Director, North America, C40 Cities Climate Leadership Group
Christine Morris, Chief Resilience Officer, City of Norfolk, Virginia
With Joie Chen, Contributor, AtlanticLIVE
- 10:05 a.m.Keeping Virginia’s Economy On TrackGovernor Terry McAuliffe (D-VA)
With Steve Clemons, Washington Editor at Large, The Atlantic
- 10:30 a.m.Connecting the DMVMayor Muriel Bowser (D-DC)
With Joie Chen, AtlanticLIVE
- 10:50 a.m.What Higher Education Can Do To HelpJanet Napolitano, President, University of California; former Secretary, Department of Homeland Security; former Governor (D-AZ)
With Steve Clemons, The Atlantic
- 11:15 a.m.Building the City of the FutureGabe Klein, Co-Founder, CityFi
Niki Christoff, Head of Federal Affairs, Uber
With Sommer Mathis, CityLab.com
- 11:45 a.m.The Next Infrastructure AgendaRichard Geddes, Visiting Scholar; Professor and Director, AEI, Cornell Program in Infrastructure Policy
Robert Puentes, President and CEO, Eno Center for Transportation
With Joie Chen, AtlanticLIVE
- 12:05 p.m.Closing ThoughtsMargaret Low, AtlanticLIVE
Click the logo in the top-left of this video player to access the full playlist.
Also in This Series
Summit on Infrastructure + Transportation
America’s infrastructure is a vast network of roads, bridges, tunnels, railroads and pipes and power lines that keeps the economy moving.
The Atlantic Festival
The Atlantic Festival returns Fall 2021.