The median price of a home in the United States has been rising for years, and the trend is expected to continue. For an entire generation, that means the American dream of homeownership seems increasingly out of reach. Housing affordability is no longer simply a challenge for low-income families, but for the middle class as well.
How can communities address these challenges, ensure affordable housing, and bring home ownership within reach to more Americans? The Atlantic convened civic leaders, developers, policymakers and residents for an in-depth conversation on the state of the real estate market and the path to expanded access to affordable housing.
Watch full session videos
To see photos from this event, please visit our Facebook page.
- Thursday, December 07
- 2:00 p.m.WelcomeEmily Akhtarzandi, Managing Director, AtlanticLIVE
- 2:05 p.m.The State of the MarketAndrea Chegut, Director, MIT Real Estate Innovation Lab
Robert Dietz, Chief Economist, National Association of Home Builders
Nela Richardson, Chief Economist, Redfin
With Rebecca Rosen, Senior Editor, The Atlantic
- 2:35 p.m.White House Priorities Mark Calabria, Chief Economist, Executive Office of the Vice President
With Gillian White, Senior Associate Editor, The Atlantic
- 2:55 p.m.Legislating Affordable HousingSenator Maria Cantwell (D-WA)
With Rebecca Rosen, The Atlantic
- 3:15 p.m.Increasing Access and Affordability in Housing*
Produced by our underwriters Blend, Fannie Mae and Mortgage Bankers AssociationNima Ghamsari, CEO, Blend
Jon Lawless, Vice President for Product Development and Affordable Housing, Fannie Mae
Steve O'Connor, Senior Vice President of Public Policy and Industry Relations, Mortgage Bankers Association
- 3:25 p.m.What Can Communities Do?Allison Ladd, Deputy Director, DC Department of Housing and Community Development
Matthew Heckles, Assistant Secretary, Development Finance, Maryland Department of Housing and Community Development
Maria Torres-Springer, Commissioner, Department of Housing Preservation and Development, New York City
With Gillian White, The Atlantic
- 3:55 p.m.Closing ThoughtsEmily Akhtarzandi, AtlanticLIVE
In Pursuit of Happiness
The Atlantic will host a live event that explores the human hold on happiness—and aims to find ways to build a more meaningful life.