Begin each Convention morning during the presidential conventions with The Atlantic to explore key issues in this pivotal election year. From a deep dive on polling and demographics, to an up-close look at the candidates and their policies, these briefings will combine political insights with sharp analysis.
MONDAY, JULY 18—BATTLE FOR CONGRESS
As we gear up for the general election, the Republican Party looks to retake the White House and keep control of the House and Senate. The Atlantic’s congressional briefing took a look at the races up and down the ballot that could signal a shift of power in Washington.
- Michael Steele, Former Chairman, Republican National Committee
- David Wasserman, House Editor, The Cook Political Report
- Greg Walden, Chairman, National Republican Congressional Committee
- Anthony Salvanto, Director of Elections, CBS News
- With Molly Ball, Staff Writer, The Atlantic and Steve Clemons, Washington Editor at Large, The Atlantic
TUESDAY, JULY 19—THE ELECTION IN NUMBERS
We gathered leading pollsters to break down the numbers and offer insight about the states the Republican nominee will have to compete in and win to claim the White House in November.
- Kristen Soltis Anderson, Co-Founder, Echelon Insights
- Kellyanne Conway, President and CEO, The Polling Company, inc./WomanTrend
- Chris Wilson, CEO, Wilson Perkins Allen Research
- With Ron Brownstein, Senior Editor, The Atlantic
WEDNESDAY, JULY 20—HOW WILL THEY GOVERN?
What kind of vision, policies and decision-making can we expect from the next president? With party leaders and key Republican strategists, we provided perspective and insight on the next four years of presidential leadership.
- Amy Walter, National Editor, The Cook Political Report
- Vin Weber, Partner, Mercury
- Tom Cole, Representative (R-OK), U.S. House of Representatives
- Alex Conant, Partner, Firehouse Strategies
- Mindy Finn, Founder, Empowered Women
- Josh Holmes, President and Founding Partner, Cavalry
- Mike Leavitt, Founder and Chairman, Leavitt Partners
- With Ron Brownstein, Senior Editor, The Atlantic, John Dickerson, Host, Face the Nation and Alex Wagner, Senior Editor, The Atlantic
THURSDAY, JULY 21—ROAD TO THE WHITE HOUSE
On the last day of the Republican Convention, we turned our attention to the big finale and onward to the general election. We brought together campaign managers and political strategists to draw on their combined experience and talk about what the nominee needs to accomplish in the big speech, the issues at play, as well as the opportunities and challenges facing the Republican Party in November.
- John Brabender, Chief Creative Officer, Brabender Cox
- Sara Fagen, Partner, DDC
- Mike DuHaime, Partner, Mercury
- Mike Murphy, Republican Political Consultant
- Rick Tyler, Former National Spokesman, Ted Cruz for America
- With Ron Brownstein, Senior Editor, The Atlantic and Major Garrett, Chief White House Correspondent, CBS News
Also in This Series
The Atlantic at the 2016 Democratic National Convention
The Atlantic went to Philadelphia for a range of events discussing issues of consequence to everyday Americans and shed light on the vision and policy goals of the Democratic nominee.
The Atlantic at the
Democratic National Convention:
We held a Morning Briefing at the start of each day of the DNC, addressing some of the biggest questions affecting this election.
A Global Battle: An Atlantic Forum on HIV/AIDS Today
What is the state of the HIV/AIDS epidemic at home and abroad?
The Constitution in Crisis:
What Would the Founders Say
The Constitution in Crisis: What would the founders say?